This vegan hero sandwich recipe featuring plant-based deli slices is terrific as part of a soup-and-sandwich dinner. It’s also a treat for portable lunches for school and work and a fantastic choice for picnics.
There are several well-known brands that make delectable deli slices. Most are based on soy and/or seitan, so those with soy or gluten allergies need to steer clear. Everyone else, enjoy this easy way to make hearty, high-protein sandwiches.
Unlike their meaty counterparts, vegan slices are free of saturated fat, cholesterol, and undesirable nitrites.
Here are some brands of vegan deli slices to look for, many of which you’ll find in well-stocked supermarkets and natural food stores. You’ll find a detailed rundown on popular brands here.
Some deli slices are bologna-style, some are analogs of super-thinly sliced “turkey,” while some mimic ham and corned “beef.” Explore these brands to discover your favorites. Some chain stores have their own proprietary brands as well.
- Field Roast
- Green Slice
- Sweet Earth
- Unreal Deli
Make it kid-friendly: Kids may prefer these with plain vegan mayonnaise rather than the herb mayonnaise given above; they may also prefer the sandwich without the roasted red peppers.
Yield: This recipe makes 5 to 6 heroes, depending on the size of the bread. If you don’t need that many, it’s easy to cut the recipe in half. In fact, you need not follow this recipe to a T; it’s a sandwich, after all!
Complete the meal: This makes a nice warm-weather meal served with Really Simple Vegan Potato Salad or Golden and Sweet Potato Salad. You can try a pasta salad approach as well — Vegan Macaroni Salad with Vegetable Confetti is a good choice to keep the deli theme going. Round out the meal with fresh fruit or any kind of simple fruity dessert.
Recipe is adapted from The Vegetarian Family Cookbook by Nava Atlas. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky, BittersweetBlog.com.
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 heaping teaspoon prepared yellow or Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup minced fresh herbs of your choice (try a combination of basil, dill, and parsley)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives or scallion
- 6 individual hero rolls (about 8-inch), preferably whole grain
- 6-ounce package vegan deli slices, any variety you prefer, cut into halves
- 2 cups finely shredded lettuce
- 3 to 4 firm, ripe Roma (plum) tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4-ounce jar roasted red peppers, well drained and thinly sliced
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and stir together.
- Split the hero rolls lengthwise. Spread each half with the herb mayonnaise. Divide the deli slices among 6 of the roll halves.
- Divide the lettuce, tomato slices, and red pepper slices among the
other 6 roll halves. Put the halves together and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 234Total Fat: 9 ggSodium: 481 mgmgCarbohydrates: 28 ggProtein: 9 gg
This nutritional analysis is an estimate. Accuracy depends on final sizes of portions and exact amounts of ingredients used.
If you like this hearty sandwich, you might also enjoy …
Here are more tasty and easy vegan sandwiches & wraps.