A yummy and easy sandwich, this vegan pepper jack roasted red pepper and avocado tartine is from The Vegenaise Cookbook. Yes, Vegenaise has its own cookbook! And no wonder — it has been a vegan staple for years, to the point that many of us consider this classic condiment its own food group.
Vegenaise is one of many plant-based products by the iconic company Follow Your Heart. If you’re a Vegenaise fan, you’ll love this beautiful cookbook, filled with easy recipes and beautiful photos. Learn more about Follow Your Heart, and The Vegenaise Cookbook following the recipe box.
I recently learned that Vegenaise comes 13 different varieties — I wasn’t aware that there are so many, and now I want to try them all …
Bob Goldberg writes about this luscious sandwich: “In this recipe, the sweetness of the red bell peppers and the tart tomatoes balance the rich avocado, and everything is opened up with a little heat from Pepper Jack Slices.”
And of course, the better and fresher the bread you use, the better the tartine will be. Excerpted from The Vegenaise Cookbook: Great Food That’s Vegan, Too © 2020 by Robert A. Goldberg. Photography by Alexandra Grablewski. Reproduced by permission of The Countryman Press. All rights reserved.
- 2 large red bell peppers (see shortcut in Notes)
- ¼ cup Vegenaise
- 2 large slices vegan sourdough bread
- 4 Follow Your Heart Pepper Jack Slices
- 3 small heirloom tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and thinly sliced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the broiler and roast the peppers on a baking sheet for about 5 minutes per side, or until charred. Remove from the broiler, set aside, and allow to cool. Once cool enough to handle, peel away the skin and remove the stem, seeds, and membranes. Chop roughly and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of Vegenaise on one side of each slice of bread. Top each slice with two slices of Pepper Jack.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, or until the Pepper Jack is melted. Top with the tomato, roasted bell pepper, avocado, salt, and black pepper. Serve while hot and gooey.
Note from The Vegan Atlas: If you’re feeling lazy, use roasted red bell peppers from a jar.
The Vegenaise Cookbook is available on Amazon*
and wherever books are sold
More about Follow Your Heart, Vegenaise,
and The Vegenaise Cookbook
Follow Your Heart, the pioneering US plant-based food company known for introducing Vegenaise® to consumers, is excited to announce The Vegenaise Cookbook: Great Food That’s Vegan, Too [Countryman Press; July 7, 2020; $24.95] by Follow Your Heart cofounder and CEO, Bob Goldberg. The book highlights over 80 carefully curated and tested Vegenaise-based recipes for nostalgic comfort food that’s both mouthwateringly delicious and dietary-restriction friendly.
50 Years of Vegenaise
Vegenaise, Follow Your Heart’s original product, is a cult-favorite game changer in the plant-based kitchen. A vegan alternative to mayonnaise, the heart-healthy, delicious, egg-free spread is a versatile ingredient that is non-GMO, gluten-free, dairy-free, and high in essential omega-3 fatty acids. It shines in salads, dips, sandwiches, breads, cakes, and more.
A Cookbook for a New Generation
Organized to get you through appetizers, sandwiches, dips and sauces, as well as weeknight mains, hearty salads, and decadent desserts, The Vegenaise Cookbook offers page after page of dishes with traditionally comforting flavors and ingredients. Recipes are inspired by the offerings at Follow Your Heart Market & Cafe, the natural foods restaurant that author Bob Goldberg and friends opened in 1970, where Vegenaise and Follow Your Heart was founded.
The Vegenaise Cookbook is a cookbook without pretense or judgment. It’s family-friendly, crowd-friendly food for a whole new generation. In this book, you’ll find a welcome mix of nutritious, and indulgent plant-based recipes, including:
- Lemon & Thyme Broccolini Tarts
- Herbed Parmesan Polenta Fries
- Shredded Carrot and Potato Burgers
- Crispy Mushroom Po’ Boy Sandwiches
- Cheesy Chipotle Potato Flautas
- Classic Lasagna
- Beluga Lentil Salad with Minty Crème Fraîche
- Pesto Artichoke Pizza
- Spicy Southwestern Potato Salad
- Jackfruit Carnitas Tacos with Chipotle Lime Crema
- Blender Blackout Double Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread with Cinnamon Streusel Crumble
More information can be found on the Follow Your Heart website, followyourheart.com. Follow us on Instagram: @followyourheart
ABOUT FOLLOW YOUR HEART
Over the course of the past 50 years, Follow Your Heart has established itself as a leader in the dairy-free, plant-based food market. Committed to environmentally sustainable practices, the company manufactures its products using a solar-powered facility called Earth Island.
Follow Your Heart’s signature branded products include Vegenaise and Vegan Egg, as well as vegan gourmet alternatives like dairy-free cheese slices and shreds, yogurts, sour cream, cream cheese, dressings, and sauces. These products are all naturally dairy-, gluten-, and cholesterol-free and are made with all-natural, non-GMO ingredients.
Products are available for purchase at the company’s original brick-and-mortar market & café in Canoga Park, California, as well as at 11,000 retail locations across the United States.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Bob Goldberg is cofounder and CEO of Follow Your Heart sandwich bar, opened in 1970 in Canoga Park, California, where he developed Vegenaise. Follow Your Heart started as a seven-seat vegetarian food counter that needed an egg-free “mayo.” Vegenaise was born.
Follow Your Heart continues to operate the original market and café but has grown the Vegenaise family into a $60-million business. Bob resides in the Santa Susana Mountains with his wife, Kathy.
*This is an Amazon Affiliate link. If the product is purchased by linking through this site receives a modest commission, which helps maintain it and keeps it growing!