A simple vegan macaroni salad embellished with colorful vegetables — peas, corn, bell pepper, and carrots — this is reminiscent of the kind sold at deli counters, but with lots more going for it. Easy to make, it’s vegetable macaroni recipe that will appeal to eaters of all ages and persuasions.
Kid-friendly and grown-up adaptable: Serve as is to kids, who might like the idea of eating “confetti,” and embellish adult portions with minced fresh herbs—scallion, parsley, and/or dill. Toasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds scattered over the top also add a nice touch.
What to serve with this macaroni salad
- This is a good side dish served with vegan burgers, sandwiches, and wraps.
- For a side-by-side salad meal, serve with a bean salad. An easy choice: Super-Quick Two-Bean Salad.
More tips for enjoying this colorful macaroni salad
- Pack leftover portions in thermoses to use as part of portable lunches. This also makes a delightful picnic dish, packed in a shallow storage container.
- For a slightly more sophisticated yet still kid-friendly salad, use pasta twists, like cavatappi or rotini.
- See more vegan pasta salads to enjoy all year round.
Recipe adapted from The Vegetarian Family Cookbook. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky, BittersweetBlog.com.
Vegan Macaroni Salad with Vegetable Confetti
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni (or your favorite short chunky shape)
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, finely diced
- 3/4 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 3/4 cup cooked fresh or frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced (or about 3/4 cup sliced baby carrots)
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish, optional
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Finely chopped scallion, parsley, and/or dill
- Toasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions until al dente, then drain. Rinse under cool water, then drain again and transfer to a serving container.
- Combine half of the vegetables with the cooked pasta. Set the rest aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayo, mustard, and optional pickle relish, and stir together. Pour into the container with the pasta and stir together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Scatter the remaining vegetables over the top. Serve at once or cover and refrigerate until needed. Pass around any of the optional embellishments when serving, if you’d like.
If you like this simple pasta salad, you might also enjoy …
Family-Friendly Lunch Box Pasta Salad
Vegan Pasta Tuna Salad (aka “Tofuna”)
See lots more delicious salads & sides.
Leave a Reply