Golden and sweet potato salad will please eaters of all persuasions with its mild, pleasant flavors and enticing colors. It’s a fantastic selection for potlucks, and of course, picnics. Made with vegan mayo, this colorful and easy potato salad is plant-based all the way.
In praise of sweet potatoes: Sweet potatoes are one of the most ancient, nutritious, and valuable food crops of the Americas. Not to diminish the value of white or golden potatoes, but in comparison, sweet potatoes are substantially richer in nutrients.
Sweet potatoes are especially high in vitamin A and the major minerals. With their natural sweetness and glorious color, sweet potatoes lend themselves to simple preparations.
What to serve with golden and sweet potato salad
Golden and sweet potatoes salad is an ideal side dish for wraps, vegan burgers, and vegan hot dogs.
Try it as a side-by-side dish with Sweet and Smoky Beans and Greens. In all cases, add a simple tossed salad or slaw if you want a slightly larger meal.
- Here are lots more delectable vegan sweet potato recipes.
- And lots more tasty vegan potato salad recipes.
Recipe is from Vegetarian Family Cookbook by Nava Atlas. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky, BittersweetBlog.com.
Golden and Sweet Potato Salad
Golden and sweet potato salad will please eaters of all persuasions with its mild, pleasant flavors and enticing colors.
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise, or more, as desired
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- Juice of 1/2 lemon or lime
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 large sweet potato
- 4 medium golden potatoes (like Yukon gold)
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into narrow strips
- 2 scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Minced fresh parsley and/or dill, to taste
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and stir together. Set aside until needed.
- To cook the sweet potatoes: Microwave the sweet potato separately from the golden potatoes. Microwave the sweet potato until it can be pierces with a knife or fork with some resistance, starting with 3 minutes and adding 30 to 60 seconds at a time until it’s done — don’t overdo it, we don’t want a mushy sweet potato in a salad! Let them cool to room temperature, then slip of the skins and cut into 3/4-inch chunks. A better alternative is to peel the sweet potato and cut into 3/4-inch chunks. Combine in a saucepan with just enough water to cover. Bring to a slow boil, then lower the heat and cover until done but still firm, about 10 minutes. Drain, then allow to cool to room temperature.
- To cook the golden potatoes: Microwave the 4 golden potatoes together, starting with 5 minutes, then adding a minute at a time until they’re done but still firm; once again, taking care not to let them get overdone. Let them cool to room temperature, then slip of the skins and cut into 3/4-inch chunks. Or, scrub (if organic) or peel, and cut into 3/4-inch chunks. Combine in a saucepan with just enough water to cover. Bring to a slow boil, then lower the heat and cover until done but still firm, about 10 minutes. Drain, then allow to cool to room temperature.
- Combine the sweet and golden potato chunks in a serving container with the peas, bell pepper, and scallions.
- Stir in the dressing. If you’d like a creamier salad, add a little more vegan mayo, to your taste.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add parsley or dill as desired, or put in small bowls and pass around for topping individual portions.
Variation: Add a little crunch to the salad with toasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds.
If you like this easy potato salad, you might also enjoy …
See more delectable vegan salads & sides, as well as gluten-free selections.
Leave a Reply