This classic German potato salad recipe is dressed in vinaigrette and embellished with red onion, capers, and herbs. It’s a delicious departure from the creamy types of potato salad.
It’s a rare eater that doesn’t love a good potato salad. It’s warmly welcomed in the plant-based repertoire as an accompaniment to sandwiches, veggie burgers, and as part of warm-weather meals with grilled veggies, corn-on-the-cob.
Complete the meal: For a nice warm-weather meal of hearty side-by-side salads, serve with Hot and Cool Layered Black Bean Taco Salad and corn on the cob.
The classic recipe for German potato salad offers an option for using bacon; since vegan bacon is so delish, that’s an option given here as well. You also have a choice of using bottled or homemade Basic Vinaigrette.
See lots more tasty vegan potato salad recipes.
Classic German Potato Salad
German potato salad, prepared with vinaigrette, onions, and capers, is a classic variation on the creamier types of potato salad.
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds golden new potatoes or 5 medium-large Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1/2 cup bottled or homemade vinaigrette (see link in Notes)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 to 3 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Crisp-cooked vegan bacon, cut into bits (5 or 6 slices)
- Scrub the potatoes. If organic, you can leave the skins on; or peel, as you prefer. Cut new potatoes in half; or cut regular potatoes into 1/2- to 3/4-inch dice.
- Place the potatoes in a steamer basket over a little water in a large saucepan and steam over medium heat until done, but still nice and firm. If you don’t have a steamer basket, simply cook with just a little water in a saucepan, enough to keep the bottom moist, and stir occasionally to make sure there’s still enough water. This should take around 10 minutes or so.
- Transfer the diced potatoes to a serving container and add the remaining ingredients. Stir together gently.
- If you’d like to use vegan bacon, follow package directions and cut into small bits before adding to the salad, or use as a topping for individual servings.
- You can serve this just warm or at room temperature. Or, if you prefer, cover and refrigerate until needed or serve at once.
Here's our Basic Vinaigrette recipe if you'd like to make your own.
If you like this potato salad, you might also enjoy …
Really Simple Vegan Potato Salad
Here are lots more easy vegan salads & sides.
Leave a Reply