Basic vinaigrette is an all-purpose dressing for all kinds of salads. Also great for marinating, it’s a must-have recipe if you prefer to make your own dressings.
Vinaigrette is regularly called for in recipes throughout this site, which always give the option of making your own or using bottled dressing.
Though bottled vinaigrette is often quite good if you go for the better brands, there are times when you need it and may not have it on hand. Fortunately, its components are kitchen staples for most of us, and likely, you also have them at the ready: olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, and seasonings. And honestly, the whole endeavor shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes!
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 to /1/3 cup balsamic or apple cider vinegar, to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon yellow or Dijon-style mustard
- 1 teaspoon agave or natural granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning or salt-free all-purpose seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic granules, optional
- A few grindings of freshly ground pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a tightly lidded bottle and shake thoroughly, or mix things up in a small bowl or jar with a whisk.
- Shake or stir well before each use. Refrigerate whatever is not used at once; bring to room temperature before using.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 90Total Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 32mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 0g
Per 1-tablespoon serving: Nutrition data is always an estimate depending on program used to calculate and exact products used. This is given for informational purposes only and accuracy cannot be guaranteed.
If you like this basic vinaigrette, you might also enjoy …