As a light meal, this delectable barbecue-flavored tempeh salad can stand on its own, especially for lunch. Add some baked fries (homemade or organic frozen) for a fun meal.
Tempeh, an intense, high-protein soy food, is greatly enhanced by a quick, high-heat sauté in barbecue sauce, your favorite bottled variety, or an easy homemade recipe.
Any dressing you’d like: This salad is great with most any kind of dressing — se whatever you’ve got on hand. If you’d like to use homemade dressing, Basic Vinaigrette works well, or for a creamy effect, try Vegan Ranch. which you can grab from this recipe.. Even plain vegan mayo and a little lemon juice works well.
Complete the meal: If you want to add something yummy on the side, make some baked oven fries (regular or sweet potato). Or, simply serve with baked or microwaved sweet potatoes just as they are — it’s all good. Or, for a nice midsummer meal, serve with fresh corn on the cob instead of potatoes.
Substitute baked tofu or seitan: This salad can be made with 8 ounces of baked tofu or seitan in place of tempeh. Cut the tofu into dice and the seitan into small chunks and precede as directed from the start of the instructions.
Recipe adapted from Vegan on a Budget by Nava Atlas. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky (originally ran on VegKitchen).
- 8-ounce package tempeh (any variety)
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, homemade (see Notes) or bottled
- 1 medium ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, and diced
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce, coarsely shredded
- Two big handfuls of baby spinach
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced, or 1 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 cup grated carrots (use preshredded for ease)
- Your favorite dressing, as needed (see Note)
- Cut the block of tempeh into dice. Heat enough olive oil to coat a skillet and sauté the tempeh over medium-high heat for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring often, until starting to turn golden.
- Add about 1/2 cup BBQ sauce to the tempeh and sauté until absorbed and starting to brown here and there. Once done, add just a bit more BBQ sauce to coat nicely and remove from the heat.
- Combine the avocado, lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, and carrots in a salad bowl. Dress as desired with your dressing of choice, or pass it around.
- Divide the salad between four serving bowls or plates and top each the warm tempeh croutons. Serve at once.
Good dressings for this salad include vinaigrette and vegan ranch. Grab links to these recipes above the recipe box. You'll find the link to Easy No-Cook Barbecue Sauce there as well.
If you like this tempeh salad, you might also enjoy …
Here are more tasty vegan salads & sides.