Though I’m all for high-quality prepared sauces to use as shortcuts, I’ve rarely found a bottled barbecue sauce that I’ve fallen in love with. Too smoky, too salty, too sweet … it’s often too something. This nearly-instant no-cook vegan barbecue sauce is so easy that it has become my go-to instead of bottled sauces. Maybe it will become yours, too.
And I’ll tell you another little secret — I never grill anymore so using this tasty BBQ sauce is really more for adding flavor than actual barbecue. It’s especially good for cooking tofu, tempeh, seitan, and beans. Simply combine your favorite plant proteins, solo or in combination with a generous amount of this sauce and cook over medium-high heat until sizzling hot and nicely glazed.
And of course, if you do use a grill, especially for your plant proteins, it’s a great sauce for its originally intended use. Here are a few recipes on this site that call for barbecue sauce. Though they offer the option of using a bottled variety, give this easy recipe a try when making the following:
- Barbecue-Flavored Chickpea Pita Sandwiches
- Big BBQ-Flavored Tofu Sandwiches
- BBQ-Flavored Lentil Sloppy Joes
This sauce is fantastic on all kinds of plant proteins!
- 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon molasses, optional (or just use an extra tablespoon of syrup)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari, reduced-sodium if desired
- 1 tablespoon barbecue seasoning blend (see note)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or basil
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- If time allows, cover and let stand for an hour or so to allow the flavors to combine more fully. If you need to use it right away, go ahead — it will still be quite good.
Barbecue seasoning blends are available in the spice section of most supermarkets. A brand I like (and no, this is not a sponsored post) is McCormick's Grill mates. It comes in several varieties, including mesquite, smoky maple, and more. Any variety will work well in this sauce.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 41Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 479mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 0g
Nutrition data is always an estimate depending on program used to calculate and exact products used. This is given for informational purposes only and accuracy cannot be guaranteed.