Adding summer fruit to classic gazpacho works surprisingly well, as you’ll see if you make this easy tomato and watermelon gazpacho. The sweet and piquant flavors of watermelon and tomatoes play off of one another in this palate-pleasing summer soup.
Like the original, tomato-only version of gazpacho, this one has become a classic. Serve this midsummer gazpacho when tomatoes are at their best, which, luckily, intersects with the season’s sweetest watermelon.
Make sure to see the variation if you happen to have a ripe peach or nectarine or two on hand.
Complete the meal: This is fantastic served as a first course for a meal of grilled veggies and plant proteins, or side by side with vegan burgers with all the fixings.
- 2 cups coarsely chopped ripe tomatoes
- 2 cup coarsely chopped watermelon, seeded (or use seedless)
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper
- 2/3 large cucumber, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 scallions, green parts only, cut into several pieces
- Handful of cilantro or parsley sprigs
To finish the soup:
- 1 cup diced ripe tomatoes or halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 cups finely diced seedless watermelon
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/3 large cucumber, peeled and finely diced
- Juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon or lime, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Basil leaves
- Place the first six (base) ingredients in a food processor or blender. Puree until fairly smooth.
- Transfer the puree to a serving container. Add the remaining ingredients (except optional garnishes) and stir together.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving to allow the flavors to blend. Serve cold with optional croutons and/or basil.
Add a ripe peach or nectarine or two, pitted and diced.
Cilantro works well if you prefer it to basil; or leave fresh herb out altogether.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 103Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 112mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 3gSugar: 16gProtein: 3g
Nutrition data is always an estimate depending on program used to calculate and exact products used. This is given for informational purposes only and accuracy cannot be guaranteed.
If you like this cold soup, you might also enjoy …