Veggies and your favorite barbecue sauce synergize in a hearty chickpea pita sandwich with great flavor and texture.
For lunch, this sandwich is a stand-alone — your protein and salad are in one neat package. Just add a fruit! You can also take these same ingredients and transform them into a wrap.
For a larger meal at dinnertime, this BBQ chickpea pita sandwich pairs well with many simple companions — baked sweet potatoes or oven fries, fresh corn, a simple quinoa salad or pilaf, or a light soup. And steamed green veggies are always welcome, too. Recipe adapted from Plant Power by Nava Atlas.
- 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, cut into short narrow strips
- 2/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder or barbecue seasoning blend
- Two large fresh pita breads, preferably whole wheat
- Finely shredded romaine lettuce, as needed
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Fresh green sprouts like broccoli sprouts or pea shoots
- Thinly sliced avocado
- Combine chickpeas, scallions, bell pepper, barbecue sauce, and seasoning to taste in a medium skillet.
- Bring to a gentle simmer, then cook over medium heat until the sauce is reduced and envelopes the mixture nicely, about 8 minutes.
- Distribute 1 to 2 pita halves to each plate, depending on appetites and what else is being served.
- Insert a good amount of lettuce and a few slices of tomatoes into each pita, followed by the chickpea mixture.
- If you’d like, add some fresh sprouts or avocado slices to the sandwich. Eat at once, out of hand.
Yield:2 to 4
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 239Total Fat: 3gSodium: 280mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 9gProtein: 10g
Nutrition data is a best estimate and can vary.
Photos above: Hannah Kaminsky
If you like this chickpea sandwich, you might also enjoy …