If you’ve been vegan for a while, you probably have your own version of this chickpea salad recipe. But if you’re a newbie or an omnivore, the idea of making a mock tuna salad from chickpeas might be new to you. It’s just as good dolloped onto salad greens as it is as a spread on fresh bread.
Dianne Wenz, who contributed this recipe writes: “A few years ago, I did a back-to-school cooking demo at a local store and I made this recipe. It makes a quick-and-easy lunch, and it’s easy to hide veggies from picky kids in the mix.
It was a big hit at the demo. I even overheard a man in the parking lot telling his wife that she should have tried it. You should try it, too!
To give this more of a ‘chicken salad’ rather than a ‘tuna’ feel, omit the seaweed flakes and use two teaspoons of dried dill.”
You may also like:
Chickpea Salad & Sandwich Spread
This easy chickpea salad recipe is just as good dolloped onto salad greens as it is as a spread on fresh bread.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas, or one 14-ounce can (drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced (about 1/4 of a pepper)
- 1 teaspoon seaweed flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- Coarsely mash the chickpeas (by hand with a potato masher, or pulse for a few seconds in a food processor).
- Add all of the remaining ingredients and mix together.
- If time allows, chill for a few hours so the flavors can mingle. Adjust seasonings to taste if need be. Serve as a salad or on sandwiches.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 252Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 318mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 6gSugar: 6gProtein: 6g
Nutrition data is always an estimate depending on program used to calculate and exact products used.
If you like this chickpea salad recipe, you might also enjoy …
“Tofuna” — Tofu Salad or Sandwich Spread
Recipe reprinted with permission from What’s for Lunch, © 2016 by Dianne Wenz. Purchase your copy of the e-book here.
See more sandwiches & wraps.
Leave a Reply