The secret to this fruit, nutty massaged kale salad is using a trail mix that has a nice blend of nuts, seeds, and dried fruits. That’s what gives this simple salad its “wow factor” with no extra effort. The pop of sweet apple or pear doesn’t hurt, either!
Use any kind of kale: My favorite for this particular kale salad is the common kind of curly green kale, but lacinato works too, as long as the leaves aren’t too large and tough.
Make sure you massage the kale! Massaging this hardy leafy green soften, become brighter, and, most importantly, makes it more tender. Best of all, it gets a better mouth feel and enhances its flavor. See more about How to Massage Kale (and a few delicious kale salad ideas).
What to serve with fruity, nutty massaged kale salad
The sweet-tart flavor balance of this kale salad makes it a perfect accompaniment to hearty and spicy dishes. Here are a few main dishes that are nicely enhanced with it:
Why greens are good for you
Greens, including kale, are one of the best sources of Vitamin K, essential to bone health. And, they’re abundant in vitamins A, B (especially folic acid), and C.
Greens also provide a wealth of antioxidants and chlorophyll. Before moving on to the vegan kale recipes ahead, you might be interested in a detailed look at kale’s nutrition facts and benefits.
Recipe adapted from Wild About Greens by Nava Atlas. Photos above by Evan Atlas.
See lots more easy vegan kale recipes, including more ideas for delectable kale salads.
- 8 to 10 ounces kale, any variety
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup trail mix
- 1 medium apple, cored and diced
- Juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon, to taste
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or agave nectar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Strip the kale leaves off the stems. Slice the kale thinly and place in a serving bowl. If you’d like to use the stems, slice them thinly as well; otherwise, discard.
- Coat your palms lightly with olive oil and massage the kale until it softens and becomes bright green, 30 to 45 seconds.
- Add the remaining oil along with the other ingredients. Toss together with the kale.
- Taste and add more lemon and maple syrup or agave for the sweet and tart balance. I tend to like a more pronounced flavor of each, but tailor to your liking.
- If time allows, cover and let the salad stand for 15 minutes or so before serving.
Use a firm ripe pear in place of the apple.
If you like this simple kale salad, you might also enjoy:
Enjoy more easy vegan salads & sides.