Salsa verde, or fresh tomatillo salsa, is a fantastic embellishment for enchiladas, burritos, vegan quesadillas and nachos. And of course, they can be used as a change of pace from tomato-based salsa as a dip for tortilla chips.
Look for tomatillos in specialty groceries and well-stocked supermarkets. Or, if you belong to a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) farm and your weekly share includes lots of tomatillos, this recipe is a great way to use them; maybe the best way!
Tomatillos are members of the berry family that resemble small green tomatoes. Their flavor is distinctive, though not hot. They’re the main ingredient in salsa verde, or fresh tomatillo salsa
The prime season for tomatillos is mid-summer through early fall, depending on where you live.It should be noted that tomatillos are best used lightly cooked, and not raw. Cooking tempers their tartness and bring out their best flavor.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound fresh tomatillos, husked and halved
- 1 to 2 fresh jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped, or one 4-ounce can chopped mild green chiles
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 scallions, coarsely chopped
- Juice of 1/2 to 1 lime, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and sauté over medium-low heat until the onion is golden.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor along with the remaining ingredients. Pulse on and off until coarsely pureed.
- Transfer back to the saucepan and bring to a simmer. Simmer gently, covered, for 10 minutes. Let cool to room temperature or chill before serving.
Keep any unused portion in an airtight container in the refrigerator, where it will last for several days. It also freezes fairly well.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 66Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 153mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 0g
Nutrition data is always an estimate depending on program used to calculate and exact products used. This is given for informational purposes only and accuracy cannot be guaranteed.
If you like this tomato-free salsa, you might also enjoy …
Photos of salsa verde by Alisa Farov