At the height of fresh corn season, these vegan corn fritters can be served as a tasty side dish or better yet, as an out-of-the-ordinary appetizer.
Made with cornmeal or chickpea flour, they’re good served warm or at room temperature and enhanced with a tasty cilantro and tomatillo salsa.
If your CSA or local farm market is bursting with tomatillos (their season is roughly mid-summer to early fall, depending on where you live) you can start by making fresh tomatillo salsa (salsa verde), but since the sauce for this recipe calls for just 1/2 cup of it to enhance the corn fritters, feel free to start with salsa verde from a jar. It’s available anywhere you’d find tomato salsa — the supermarket, natural foods stores and specialty groceries.
These corn fritters go down easy, especially if you wash them down with margaritas or mojitos! Recipe adapted from Vegan Holiday Kitchen by Nava Atlas. Photos by Susan Voisin, FatFreeVegan.com.
Cilantro tomatillo salsa
- 1/2 cup tomatillo salsa, homemade (see link in Notes) or from a jar
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, very finely chopped
- Juice of 1/2 to 1 lime, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 medium ears fresh uncooked corn
- 1/2 cup light spelt or almond flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal or chickpea flour
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 cup unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 small fresh hot chili pepper, seeded and minced, optional
- Oil for frying
- Place the ingredients for the sauce in a small serving bowl and stir together.
- Break each ear of corn in half; stand on the flat end, and scrape the kernels off with a sharp knife.
- Combine the corn kernels with the remaining ingredients except the oil in a food processor. Pulse on and off until the corn is finely minced but not pureed.
- Heat enough oil to coat a large skillet or griddle. When really hot, ladle the corn batter onto the skillet to form 2 1/2 to 3 inch rounds (this will be a scant 1/4 cup of batter). Cook over medium heat until golden brown on each side. Transfer each batch to a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat until all the batter is used up.
- To serve, place the sauce in the center of a platter and surround with the fritters. Place a small spoon in the sauce so that everyone can spread a bit on their fritters.
Here's a recipe for Fresh Tomatillo Salsa.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 227Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 182mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 8g
Nutrition data is always an estimate depending on program used to calculate and exact products used. This is given for informational purposes only and accuracy cannot be guaranteed.
If you like this fresh appetizer, you might also enjoy …