This moist, rich, super-easy treat has long been a favorite of my immediate and extended family — and of mine, as the lazy baker who makes it. How can you go wrong with vegan peanut butter chocolate chip blondies? Other than, of course, if you’re allergic to peanuts. It’s even easy to make this cake gluten free — simply swap gluten-free flour for the whole wheat pastry.
I often make this when I’m asked to bring dessert to a gathering, and when I do, I double the recipe so I can leave one of the cakes at home. It doesn’t matter if you use smooth or crunchy peanut butter, but make sure it’s not too stiff, so that it’s easier to incorporate into the batter. And this is so simple to make that you might come up with your own variations.
Make this in a standard 8- by 8-inch or 9- by 9-inch round pan to get 9 squares, or a round pan for 8 wedges. Of course, you can cut the pieces smaller — though you probably won’t want to! These are fantastic served with coffee, tea, or a cold glass of nondairy milk. Recipe adapted from Vegan Express by Nava Atlas.
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup natural granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup plain nondairy milk
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 cup vegan semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup chopped peanuts, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl and stir together
- Combine the applesauce, nondairy milk, and peanut butter in another bowl and whisk together until smooth.
- Pour into the flour mixture and stir together well blended, then stir in the chocolate chips.
- If you’re going to be making this in a round silicone pan, as I like to do, you can scatter the optional peanuts into the pan first, so that when you invert the finished cake, they’ll be on top. Either way, pour into a lightly oiled 9-inch round or square cake pan. If you use a standard square pan, scatter the peanuts over the batter.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden on top, and a knife inserted into the center comes out with chocolate, but not batter.
- Allow to cool to room temperature or just warm, then cut into 9 squares or 8 wedges to serve.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 220Total Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gSodium: 195mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 3gSugar: 15gProtein: 9g