Give your maca powder beverage an extra kick with subtle coffee and chocolate flavors. Mocha maca banana smoothie is as luscious as a milkshake. You’ll need frozen bananas for this maca powder smoothie recipe, so plan ahead!
Maca has a distinctive flavor sometimes described as malty, caramel-like, or reminiscent of butterscotch, making it a great addition to sweet treats like smoothies. This maca smoothie recipe makes 2 to 3 servings.
Maca root basics
Maca is a root vegetable (alternatively referred to as a tuber) that’s a distant cousin of the radish family. A member of the species Lepidium meyenii, it has been grown in the mountains of Peru and Bolivia for millennia. Learn more about the unique history of maca root.
Maca’s benefits have long been valued by indigenous cultures in its countries of origin. More recently, its use as a superfood has spread worldwide. Other than the verifiable vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and multitude of other nutrients contained in maca, be aware that other reported benefits are largely anecdotal.
Where to buy maca root powder: Look for maca at your local natural foods store. If they don’t carry it, ask if they’ll special order if for you. Of course, you can also shop online; simply search for “where to buy maca root.”
Maca can also be purchased directly from distributors like The Maca Team. It’s best to choose Fair Trade, which helps to ensure that those harvesting and processing it are paid living wages and work under fair labor practices.
Learn lots more in our Guide to Maca Root.
Ingredients for mocha maca banana smoothie
- Organic instant coffee
- Cocoa or cacao powder
- Bananas (2 medium; be sure to freeze them for several hours or overnight)
- Vanilla plant-based milk (oat, almond, cashew, etc.)
- Maca root powder
- Liquid sweetener (agave, stevia, maple syrup, etc., optional)
Explore more …
- 5 Easy Smoothies Made with Maca Root Powder
- 10 Easy Ways to Use Maca Root Powder in Food & Beverages
- Hot or Cold Mocha Maca Coffee
- Cinnamon Maca Date Smoothie
- 2 medium bananas, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 heaping teaspoon organic instant coffee
- 2 teaspoons cocoa or cacao powder, plus more for garnish
- ½ cup hot water
- 1 1/2 cups vanilla plant-based milk (oat, cashew, almond, etc.), or as needed
- 2 teaspoons to 2 tablespoons maca root powder
- Pinch of cinnamon, plus more for garnish
- Liquid sweetener (agave, stevia, maple syrup, etc.) to taste, optional
- Place the sliced bananas in a lidded container and freeze solid for several hours or overnight.
- Combine the instant coffee and cocoa powder in a mug with the hot water and stir to dissolve. Pour this mixture into a blender.
- Add the frozen bananas, plant-based milk, maca, and cinnamon. Process until completely smooth. If too thick, add more plant-based milk as needed for your desired consistency.
- Divide between two or three glasses. Taste to see if you’d like a little to add sweetener, or let everyone add their own.
- Sprinkle the top of each smoothie with a little cocoa powder and cinnamon, and serve at once.
If you like this easy banana smoothie, you may also enjoy …
See more refreshing, plant-forward beverages.