The caramel-like flavor of maca root powder blends well with banana, strawberry, and vanilla. This banana strawberry maca smoothie is a refreshing drink that’s as luscious as a milkshake.
This smoothie is as welcome as an on-the-go breakfast as it is as a mid-afternoon treat. The vanilla flavors of plant-based milk, vanilla extract, and optional plant-based creamer, teamed with fresh strawberries make this beverage OMG delicious.
Make sure to use organic strawberries: It’s best to make this smoothie with perfectly ripe, fresh organic strawberries. Strawberries are almost always near the top of the annual Environmental Working Group’s Dirty Dozen™ list of produce that uses the most pesticide. Other times of year you can use frozen strawberries (also organic, please).
Ingredients for Banana Strawberry Maca Smoothie
- Banana (1 medium)
- Organic strawberries (perfectly ripe and organic)
- Vanilla plant-based milk
- Plant-based vanilla creamer (oat, almond, etc.), optional
- Maca root powder (preferably blond; the most common variety)
- Vanilla extract
- Ice cubes
Maca root basics
A vegetable tuber native to the mountains of Peru and Bolivia, maca root has been used as a tonic and adaptogen by indigenous cultures in these countries for millennia.
In the last decade or two, the availability and use of maca root powder as a has spread worldwide. Believed to have energy-boosting qualities, it’s rich in a myriad of nutrients. Learn lots more in this site’s Guide to Maca Root.
Maca is considered a superfood. Aside from the verifiable vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and other nutrients contained in maca, be aware that other reported benefits are largely anecdotal. Learn more in this article on maca.
Explore more …
- 5 Easy Smoothies Made with Maca Root Powder
- 10 Easy Ways to Use Maca Root in Food and Beverages
- Cinnamon Maca Date Smoothie
- Mocha Maca Banana Smoothie
- 1 medium banana, broken into pieces
- 1 heaping cup organic strawberries, hulled
- 1 cup vanilla plant-based milk, or as needed
- 1/4 cup plant-based vanilla creamer (oat, almond, etc.), optional
- 2 teaspoons to 4 teaspoons maca root powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Several ice cubes
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and process until completely smooth.
- Divide between two large glasses. If too thick, add a bit more plant-based milk. Serve at once.
See more plant-forward beverages.