Kale (alternatively, collards or spinach), banana, and avocado are perfect partners for maca root powder in this tasty green smoothie. Enjoy this avocado maca smoothie to start your day or as a mid-day energy booster.
If using kale or collards, you’ll need to use a high-speed blender. Spinach will work in a regular blender.
Try it with hemp seeds: These protein-packed little seeds is entirely optional, but highly recommended. Learn all about them in our Guide to Hemp Seeds.
Ingredients for kale, banana, & avocado smoothie
- Kale or collard leaves or baby spinach
- Banana (1 medium)
- Avocado, ripe (1 medium)
- Vanilla or plain plant-based milk
- Fruit juice (orange, mango, pineapple, etc.)
- Maca root powder
- Hemp seeds (optional)
- Ice cubes
Maca root basics
Maca root, a vegetable tuber, has been grown in the mountains of Peru and Bolivia for millennia. Its benefits have long been valued by indigenous cultures in these countries.
More recently, its use as a superfood has spread worldwide It’s valued for its energy-boosting and adaptogenic qualities; it’s rich in major vitamins and minerals. Find out lots more about in this site’s Guide to Maca Root.
Be aware that other than the verifiable vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and multitude of other nutrients contained in maca, other reported benefits are largely anecdotal. You’ll learn lots more in this article, “All About Maca Root.”
Explore more …
- 5 Easy Smoothies Made with Maca Root Powder
- 10 Easy Ways to Use Maca Root in Food and Beverages
- Cinnamon Maca Date Smoothie
- Orange, Pineapple & Banana Maca Smoothie
- 2 medium kale or collard leaves, torn, or 2 big handfuls of baby spinach
- 1 medium banana
- 1 medium ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, and cut into chunks
- 1 cup vanilla plant-based milk
- 1 cup fruit juice (orange, mango, pineapple, etc.)
- 2 to 4 teaspoons maca root powder
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds, optional
- A few ice cubes
- If using kale or collards, strip the leaves away from the stems. Discard the stems and tear the leave into large pieces. Rinse in a colander. If using triple-washed baby spinach, no need to do anything with it.
- Combine the greens with the remaining ingredients in a blender (you can blend the ice into the smoothie or serve it over ice, as you prefer).
- Blend until completely smooth. Thin with a little plant-based milk or juice if you’d like the smoothie to be less dense.
- Divide between 2 to 3 glasses and serve at once.
Find lots more refreshing, plant-forward beverages.