Common to many regional Middle Eastern cuisines, this is one of those simple dishes that, with the right ingredients, is amazingly tasty. Vegan tofu shakshuka, a simple scramble made with bell peppers and tomatoes, is as welcome for brunch as it is as part of a light dinner.
In its original form, shakshuka is made with eggs; in this vegan version, just one ingredient changes—silken tofu replaces the eggs.
Basically a tofu scramble incorporating bell peppers, onion, and tomatoes, this veganized shakshuka is especially welcome as a fast summer dish, though it can be enjoyed all year round. It’s a great way to showcase the abundance of delicious tomatoes in season, but welcome any time you can get good tomatoes.
What to serve with vegan tofu shakshuka
Make this a part of a delicious Middle Eastern-themed meal. Serve with hummus (store-bought or homemade), fresh pita bread, and a simple Israeli-style salad or tabbouli. Here are some recipes to choose from, that make good accompaniments for the tofu shakshuka:
Or, create a brunch-like meal (for any time of day) with sautéed or roasted potatoes (Fingerling Potato Fries are fun!), whole grain toast, and sliced oranges.
- Piperade (Spanish Bell Pepper Sauté)
- Silken Tofu Recipes — Savory & Sweet
- Vegetable tofu scramble (with lots of variations)
- Roasted Seitan with Peppers and Portobello Mushrooms
- Vegan Sausage and Peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- Two 12.3-ounce packages firm silken tofu, finely crumbled
- 2 large or 4 medium firm, ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Pinch of turmeric, as desired, for color
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, or more, as desired
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium-low heat until translucent.
- Add the bell peppers and continue to sauté until both they and the onions are soft and turning golden, about 10 minutes
- Add the tofu, tomatoes, paprika, and turmeric. Stir together, then cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, or until the tomatoes are soft.
- Season with salt and pepper, stir in the parsley, and serve.
Variation: Some traditional recipes include garlic. Add 3 to 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped, with the bell pepper in step 2 if you’d like a garlicky version.
If you like tofu scrambles, you might also enjoy …