This homestyle Italian classic is easy to update with plant-based sausage to create delicious, easy vegan sausage and peppers. It makes a hearty one-dish meal, fantastic served with pasta, grains, or soft polenta or stuffed into hero sandwiches.
Try it served over farro, an often overlooked whole grain. Appropriately, it’s most used in Italian cuisine. And you can easily transform leftovers (if you can manage to have any!) into delicious hero rolls — or just serve this dish that way from the get-go.
Vegan sausage brands: Amy’s, Beyond, Field Roast, Gardein, Morningstar Farms, No Evil, Tofurky, and The Very Good Butchers all make excellent vegan sausage. You may find store brands as well. They’re all good! You won’t be afraid to find out “how the sausage gets made,” as the saying goes, as the main ingredients are usually vital wheat gluten and/or tofu (be alert, though, if you have gluten or soy sensitivity).
Explore more recipes using vegan sausage
Recipe adapted from Plant-Powered Protein: 125 Recipes for Using Today’s Amazing Meat Alternatives © 2020 by Nava Atlas. Reprinted by permission. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky, BittersweetBlog.com.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 14-ounce package vegan sausage
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large red, green, or orange bell peppers (or a combination)
- 1/4 cup dry red or white wine, optional
- 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, or more, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or basil
- Dried hot red pepper flakes to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Hot cooked pasta, grains, or polenta, or hero rolls
- Heat just enough of the oil to lightly coat the bottom of a large skillet, reserving the rest. Add the sausage and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until all sides are golden brown. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same pan. Add the onion and sauté over medium-low heat until translucent. Add the garlic and peppers and sauté until all are soft and golden.
- Stir in the optional wine, pureed tomatoes, and seasonings. Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Stir the reserved vegan sausage into the mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Serve at once, spooning some of the sausage and peppers mixture over or side by side with pasta, grains, or polenta. Or, arrange as much as fits comfortably on the bottom half of hero rolls, then cover with the top half.
If you like this hearty vegan sausage dish, you might also enjoy …
Here are more vegan main dishes.