It’s easy to transform the original meaty version of this recipe to make a hearty vegan sausage and cabbage skillet. The addition of potatoes makes it a substantial main dish.
It’s hard to think of any two vegetables that give you more bang for the buck than cabbage and potatoes. And fittingly, they go so well together in many kinds of dishes — case in point, this combo of vegan sausage, cabbage, and potatoes.
Vegan sausage brands: Amy’s, Beyond, Field Roast, Gardein, Morningstar Farms, No Evil, Tofurky, and The Very Good Butchers all make excellent vegan sausage. You may find store brands as well. They’re all good! You won’t be afraid to find out “how the sausage gets made,” as the saying goes, as the main ingredients are usually vital wheat gluten and/or tofu (be alert, though, if you have gluten or soy sensitivity).
And if you ever feel more ambitious, you can try making your own. There are lots of recipes for DIY vegan sausages online, including Spicy Vegan Chorizo sausages on this site.
Make an easy dish even easier. Using pre-cut coleslaw cabbage, which will also add a nice color element if it includes carrots. And you can make a quick dish even quicker by microwaving (or baking, if you prefer) the potatoes ahead of time.
Complete the meal: Serve with a simple tossed salad and add a steamed green vegetable if you’d like — green beans or broccoli go well with this.
- 4 medium red-skinned or golden potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 large or 2 medium onions, quartered and sliced
- 1/2 large head cabbage, thinly sliced, or a 16-ounce bag coleslaw
- 14-ounce package (4 links) vegan sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup white wine or water
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Dried hot red pepper flakes to taste, optional
- Microwave the potatoes until about half done — you should be able to pierce them, but with substantial resistance. Plunge into a bowl of cold water and let stand for about 10 minutes. When cool enough to handle, cut into bite-sized chunks.
- Meanwhile, you can use that time to cut the onions, cabbage, and sausage.
- Heat half of the oil in a large skillet or stir-fry pan. Add the potatoes and sausage and sauté over medium-high heat, stirring often, until they begin to turn golden here and there, about 10 minutes. Remove from the pan to a plate or bowl and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same pan. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until golden.
- Add the cabbage and wine or water. Cover and cook until wilted down, about 5 minutes. Uncover, turn the heat up to medium-high, and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes longer.
- Return the sausage and potatoes to the pan and stir in with the cabbage. Sauté for 5 minutes more.
- Stir in the parsely, then season with salt, pepper, and optional red pepper flakes, and serve.
Variation: If you’re a garlic fan, add 3 to 4 cloves of garlic, minced, when the onion is soft and translucent, then continue as directed.
If you like vegan sausage, you might also enjoy …
More delicious recipes using vegan sausage