Lemon parsley pesto brings the perfect pop of color and flavor to this simple (and incredibly inexpensive) roasted cauliflower soup.
If you’re short on time, you can easily skip the croutons and still have a stellar soup.
Reprinted with permission from Frugal Vegan: Affordable, Easy & Delicious Vegan Cooking by Katie Koteen and Kate Kasbee, Page Street Publishing Co. ©2017. Photo credit: Allie Lehman.
This is a delicious soup to pair with sandwiches or wraps.
- 1 head cauliflower, roughly cut into 2-inch pieces (about 8 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium yellow onions, halved and sliced thin (about 3 cups)
- ½ tsp thyme
- 5 cups vegetable broth (see Note)
- ½ baguette, cut in ½-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Lemon Parsley Pesto
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley (about 1 cup), stems removed
- 1 lemon, zest and juice (about 2 tablespoons, or to taste)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (218°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss the cauliflower in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Pour out onto a lined baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes or until just lightly browned and soft. Set aside the parchment-lined baking sheet to use for the croutons.
- When the cauliflower has been in the oven for about 20 minutes, you can start cooking the onions. Heat the remaining olive oil over medium heat in a large Dutch oven or soup pot. Add the onion and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the onions are very soft but not browned. Add the thyme, vegetable broth and roasted cauliflower.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Working in small batches, transfer the soup to a blender and blend until smooth or at desired smoothness. I like to keep mine a little on the chunky side.
- In the meantime, toss the baguette in 1 teaspoon of olive oil and add a little salt and pepper. Bake at 425°F (218°C) for 5 minutes; toss and bake another 2 to 3 minutes until just barely browned.
- To make the pesto, combine the parsley, lemon juice, and olive oil in the small bowl of a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Drizzle the soup with pesto, top with croutons, and serve.
For broth, you can also use 5 cups water with 2 good-quality vegan bouillon cubes.
If you like this cauliflower soup, you might also enjoy another one …
More about Frugal Vegan by Katie Koteen and Kate Kasbee
Frugal Vegan is available on Amazon* and wherever books are sold
Live a vegan lifestyle without breaking the bank with these 99 affordable and delicious plant-based recipes. Frugal Vegan teaches you how to avoid pricey perishables and special ingredients, and still enjoy nutritious, exciting food at every meal. Learn the tips and tricks to creating plant-based cuisine on a budget and fill yourself up with a delicious feast.
Katie Koteen and Kate Kasbee are your guides to changing up your vegan cooking routine using less expensive ingredients. There’s a meal idea for every time of day, whether it’s a hearty breakfast of Pineapple Scones or Biscuits and Gravy; a Backyard BBQ Bowl or Crunchy Thai Salad for lunch; or Beer Battered Avocado and Black Bean Tacos, Mushroom Stroganoff or Chickpea Curry for dinner.
Host movie night with a delicious snack like Salted Peanut Butter Popcorn, or indulge in Chocolate Coconut Cream Puffs for dessert. With practical tips and approachable recipes, Frugal Vegan will help you create stunning plant-based meals that’ll not only save you money, but save you time in the kitchen, too.
**This is an Amazon Affiliate link. If the product is purchased by linking through this site receives a modest commission, which helps maintain it and keeps it growing!