You’ll appreciate this flavorful dish of pasta with parsley pesto if you’re looking for a great way to use up a bunch of this abundant herb lingering in the fridge. With the zucchini and yellow summer squash it becomes a lively, naturally vegan main dish that can be served warm or at room temperature.
Briny olives and toasted pine nuts or walnuts add a rich flavor to this delectable recipe that’s easy enough for weeknight meals and special enough for company or to share at potlucks.
Parsley is an easy herb to love, packed with vitamins, and it makes a milder pesto than the traditional one made with basil. And though this dish has summer written all over it, there’s no reason you can’t enjoy it any time of year.
Complete the meal: This is nearly a one-dish meal by itself, but if you’d like to add something to it, my suggestion would be a protein booster. Consider any of these:
Photos by Hannah Kaminsky, BittersweetBlog.com.
- 1 packed cup parsley leaves
- 1 to 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts or 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces pasta, any short chunky shape (try rotelle, gemelli, or bowties)
- 1 medium-small zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 medium-small yellow summer squash, cut to match zucchini
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup pitted, chopped cured black olives (like Kalamata)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Extra toasted pine nuts or chopped walnuts for topping, optional
- Combine the pesto ingredients in a food processor, and process
until the mixture is coarsely and evenly pureed. Add a small amount of water if the mixture needs more moisture to process. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. When the pasta is
nearly done, plunge the squashes into the simmering water and continue to cook until the pasta is al dente. Drain and transfer to a large serving bowl (a wide shallow pasta bowl is ideal).
- Transfer the pesto to the serving bowl and toss together with the pasta and squashes. Add the rest of the ingredients except the extra nuts and toss again.
- If using, scatter some nuts over the top of the dish. Serve warm or
at room temperature.
If you like the pasta and with summer squashes, you might also enjoy …
Another dish combining zucchini and summer squash …
See more delicious vegan pasta & noodle recipes.