Chilled soups are one of my favorite ways to feel refreshed in the summer heat. What makes this kind of recipe even better is if it needs no cooking at all, like this cold avocado soup. And it adds gorgeous burst of green to the table, as well. If you like this soup, you may also enjoy Cold Green Pea and Cucumber Soup, another no-cook soup that comes together quickly.
Cold avocado soup makes a fantastic first course for most any kind of summer meal. It pairs well with pasta salads, potato salads, tortilla dishes, grilled vegetables, and fresh corn.
- 3 ripe avocados (two can be very ripe, one needs to be firm enough to dice)
- 16-ounce bag plus 1 cup frozen peas, completely thawed
- 2 scallions, green parts only, minced
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves
- Juice of 1/2 to 1 lime or lemon, to taste
- 1 teaspoon good-quality curry powder
- 3 cups unsweetened nondairy milk, or as needed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Optional garnishes (either or both):
- Lightly cooked fresh corn kernels
- Narrow strips of corn tortillas, pan-toasted until crisp
- Peel and pit the two riper avocados; cut them into large chunks, and place in a food processor or blender.
- Add the 16-ounce bag of peas to the food processor or blender (setting aside the additional cup of peas), followed by the scallions, parsley, lime juice, curry, and 1 1/2 cups of the nondairy milk. Process until velvety smooth. Transfer to a soup tureen or similar serving container
- Peel and finely dice the remaining avocado and add it to the soup along with the remaining peas. Add enough additional rice milk to give the soup a slightly thick consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper. If time allows, cover and allow the soup to chill in the refrigerator for an hour or two before serving.
- To serve, ladle a portion of soup into bowls and place a small dollop of the corn relish or salsa in the center of each portion.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 245 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 11g Cholesterol: 7mg Sodium: 145mg Carbohydrates: 26g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 6g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 7g
Recipe adapted from Vegan Holiday Kitchen by Nava Atlas. Photos by Susan Voisin, FatFreeVeganKitchen.com