Southwestern tofu scramble is a vegan interpretation of migas, a dish developed for using up corn tortillas that have lost their freshness.
Brimming with lively southwestern flavors, in the original recipe, tortilla pieces are scrambled with eggs; this version replaces eggs with tofu. Migas literally means “crumbs” in Spanish, in this case referring to the bits of tortilla.
No worries, you need not let your corn tortillas get stale for this recipe — just use what you’ve got on hand, fresh or not. Your favorite variety of salsa packs a lot of flavor into the dish, and black beans make it extra hearty.
Complete the meal: A perfect plant-based brunch dish, this also makes a fantastic quick dinner. Either way, serve with whole-grain toast or sautéed potatoes, plus a simple salad and/or fresh fruit.
Recipe adapted from Vegan on a Budget by Nava Atlas.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 14-ounce tub firm tofu, well drained and blotted, then cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into approximately 1-inch pieces or strips
- 16-ounce jar salsa, your favorite variety
- 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 fresh hot chiles, seeded and minced, or one 4-ounce can chopped mild green chilies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, or more, to taste
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon curry powder (mainly for color)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup cheddar- or jack-style style vegan cheese, optional
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- Heat the oil in a wide skillet or stir-fry pan. Sauté the onion over medium heat until lightly golden.
- Add the tortillas, salsa, black beans, chiles, and cumin and curry powder. Stir together gently. Cook over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
- If using cheese, sprinkle it over the top, then cook, covered for 2 to 3 minutes longer, or until melted. Remove from the heat and serve at once. Garnish each serving with some sliced avocado, if using.
If you like this tofu scramble, you might also enjoy …