Spicy vegan tofu rancheros is a well-seasoned egg-free version of the Southwestern classic, huevos rancheros. It’s an easy brunch or dinner dish, served with slices of avocado and/or orange.
Basically, tofu rancheros is a chile-and-veggie-filled tofu scramble, perched on corn tortillas. It goes without saying, then, that using good-quality corn tortillas makes a difference. Would you like to make your own? Here’s a detailed tutorial for making homemade corn tortillas from scratch.
No corn tortillas on hand? No problem. Serve this on wheat tortillas or wraps (you can wrap the scramble up and make a burrito), stuffed into pita, or with toast on the side.
The heat in the dish comes from fresh hot green chiles. If you’re not a fan of heat, you have the option of using milder chiles like poblano or a small can of mild green chiles. These tofu rancheros will be good no matter what heat level you choose. Sprinkle with vegan cheese shreds or not, as you choose.
To serve for dinner, or for a bigger meal for brunch, add an easy potato dish. Simple sautéed or roasted potato wedges go nicely, as does potato salad. Potato Salad with Red Beans and Artichokes makes a hearty addition to the meal.
Photos by Hannah Kaminsky, BittersweetBlog.com.
Explore more …
- Easy, versatile tofu recipes
- Vegan Brunch Recipes
- Vegan Tex-Mex recipes
- Vegan Eggless “Egg” Dishes
- Vegan Spanish Omelette
- 14- to 16-ounce tub firm or extra-firm tofu
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into short, narrow strips
- 1 or 2 small hot fresh green chile peppers (such as jalapeño or serrano), seeded and minced (see Note for milder options)
- 1 cup prepared medium or mild salsa, any favorite variety, plus extra for serving
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric, for color, optional
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, optional
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 8 good-quality corn tortillas (warmed briefly on a dry skillet if desired)
- 1 cup or so vegan pepperjack or cheddar cheese shreds for topping, optional
- Cut the tofu into 6 slabs crosswise. Blot well with paper towels or clean tea towels. Or, if you have a tofu press, use it a bit ahead of time.
- Heat the oil in a wide skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until translucent. Add the bell pepper and continue to sauté until both are golden.
- Add the tofu to the skillet, crumbling each slab with clean hands as it goes in.
- Stir the chili peppers, salsa, and tomatoes into the skillet, followed by the cumin and optional turmeric and nutritional yeast.
- Cook over medium heat until the tomatoes have softened and all the ingredients are melded and piping hot, about 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in the cilantro, then season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, place 2 tortillas on each serving plate. Divide the tofu mixture between them. Sprinkle cheese over each serving, if desired. Pass around extra salsa for topping individual portions.
For a less spicy dish, use a mild chili like poblano, or a small can of mild green chiles.