This potato and bean salad is satisfying enough to be a main dish, though it’s welcome as a side dish in smaller portions or packed into a container as a portable lunch.
Though the yum factor in this potato salad is provided by marinated artichoke hearts, you can substitute briny olives for those intermittent bursts of flavor.
For a summer dinner, it’s perfect with fresh corn and a midsummer vegetable like green beans. This also goes well with any kind of grilled vegetables. If you’d like a little more to the meal, a simple tofu or tempeh dish is companionable, as well.
Though potato salads are often favored in the summer, this flavorful and filling variation can be enjoyed any time of year.
- 4 large or 6 medium golden or red-skinned potatoes
- 1 small zucchini, sliced (or 1/2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced)
- 6-ounce jar marinated quartered artichoke hearts, drained, liquid reserved
- 15-ounce can red, kidney, or pink beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup bottled or homemade vinaigrette (see link in Notes)
- 1 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Scrub the potatoes well and microwave them in their skins until done but still firm. Plunge into a bowl of cold water.
- Combine the zucchini in a serving bowl with the artichoke hearts, beans, parsley, and scallions.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them into bite-sized chunks and add to the serving bowl.
- Add the vinaigrette, a little of the reserved liquid from the artichoke hearts, and tomatoes. Stir gently, season with salt and pepper, stir again, and serve.
Making your own vinaigrette is easy; see our recipe for Basic Vinaigrette.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 264Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 230mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 7gSugar: 9gProtein: 9g
Nutrition data is always an estimate depending on program used to calculate and exact products used. This is given for informational purposes only and accuracy cannot be guaranteed.