This potato and bean salad is satisfying enough to be a main dish, though it’s welcome as a side dish in smaller portions or packed into a container as a portable lunch. Though the yum factor in this potato salad is provided by marinated artichoke hearts, you can substitute briny olives for those intermittent bursts of flavor.
For a summer dinner, it’s perfect with fresh corn and a midsummer vegetable like green beans. This also goes well with any kind of grilled vegetables. If you’d like a little more to the meal, a simple tofu or tempeh dish is companionable, as well.
Though potato salads are often favored in the summer, this flavorful and filling variation can be enjoyed any time of year. It’s also a good choice for potlucks and picnics.
- 4 large or 6 medium golden or red-skinned potatoes
- 1 small zucchini, sliced (or 1/2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced)
- 6-ounce jar marinated quartered artichoke hearts, drained, liquid reserved
- 15-ounce can red, kidney, or pink beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup bottled or homemade vinaigrette (see link in Notes)
- 1 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Scrub the potatoes well and microwave them in their skins until done but still firm. Plunge into a bowl of cold water.
- Combine the zucchini in a serving bowl with the artichoke hearts, beans, parsley, and scallions.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them into bite-sized chunks and add to the serving bowl.
- Add the vinaigrette, a little of the reserved liquid from the artichoke hearts, and tomatoes. Stir gently, season with salt and pepper, stir again, and serve.
Making your own vinaigrette is easy; see our recipe for Basic Vinaigrette.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 264Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 230mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 7gSugar: 9gProtein: 9g
Nutrition data is always an estimate depending on program used to calculate and exact products used. This is given for informational purposes only and accuracy cannot be guaranteed.
If you like this potato salad, you might also enjoy …