A simple dish of tofu with tomatoes transforms the two starring ingredients into a summery delight. The key is to use the most flavorful, ripe summer tomatoes that are firm and not watery.
Many summers ago, a big bunch of basil and some great local tomatoes came together to inspire a Mediterranean-flavored twist for tofu on a hot summer day. Use basil sparingly or generously, as you prefer. Or, feel free to swap in a different herb, like parsley.
Complete the meal: This is a fantastic main dish for warm summer evenings with fresh corn on the cob and a cold soup and hearty salad.
It’s perfect served with Cold Green Pea & Cucumber Soup as a first course, for instance. Or go for a pasta salad or cold noodle dish to serve side by side. Try Salsa Pasta Salad with Avocado, Corn, and Peppers (use fresh corn in this rather than serving it on the cob, of course) or Peanut Satay Soba Noodles with Cucumber.
Recipe adapted from Vegan Express by Nava Atlas. Photo by Susan Voisin, FatFreeVegan.com
- Two 14- to 16-ounce tubs extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups finely diced ripe, flavorful tomato
- 1/4 cup oil-cured sun-dried tomatoes, cut into strips, with a little of their liquid
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, or to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Fresh basil leaves, as desired, cut into strips
- Cut each block of tofu into 6 equal slabs crosswise. Blot well between layers of clean tea-towel or paper towels. Or, if you have a tofu press, use it a bit in advance of starting the recipe.
- Heat half of the oil in a griddle pan or extra-wide skillet. Arrange the slabs of tofu in a single layer, and cook over medium-high heat until golden on both sides, about 5 to 7 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil oil in a smaller skillet. Add the garlic and sauté over low heat until golden. Add the fresh and dried tomatoes and lemon juice.
- Cook over medium heat just until the fresh tomato has just softened and is well heated through, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, fan out 3 slices of the tofu on each place and divide the tomato-garlic sauce over them. Top each serving with a few strips of basil, then serve at once.
If you like this simple tofu sauté, you might also enjoy …
See lots more easy tofu & tempeh recipes.