Super simple yet elegant, this lemon pepper tofu steaks recipe is quick to make, and can be served on its own or with your favorite sauce. You’ll want to double this recipe for this easy yet elegant tofu steaks (or, if you prefer, cutlets) if you’re serving more than two people, because everyone will want two pieces.
Serve with your favorite sauce, or just straight up. I think these are great just as they are, but if you’d like to add a little something, serve with your favorite sauce — teriyaki, barbecue, sweet chili sauce, peanut sauce — whatever suits your mood and goes with the meal these are being served as part of.
Add protein to the plate: These tofu steaks make a great way to add protein to the plate if you’re serving a veg-centric meal or a main-dish salad. You can also serve them atop rice or other grain as shown here.
Companion dishes for lemon pepper tofu steaks
- Stir-Fried Collard Greens and Cabbage
- Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with Arugula and Pumpkin Seeds
- Black Bean and Mango Salad with Avocado
- Garlicky Spaghetti With Zucchini Noodles
Explore more …
- 50+ Easy Tofu Recipes for Every Meal
- Simple Stir-Fried Tofu with Sweet and Savory Flavors
- Sautéed Tofu with Tomatoes and Basil
- 14-ounce tub extra-firm tofu
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon safflower or olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or more, to taste
- Your favorite sauce, optional (see options in Notes)
- Cut the tofu in half crosswise, then cut each half through the thickness to get 4 slabs. Blot very well with paper towels or clean tea towel. Better yet, use a tofu press ahead of time if you have one.
- Combine the lemon juice, oil, salt, and pepper in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Arrange the tofu in the skillet in a single layer.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high. Cook the tofu for 5 minutes, then carefully flip over.
- Continue to cook until the tofu absorbs all the marinade. Flip and cook again on both sides until golden brown. Serve at once.
Though you can serve these tofu steaks straight up, it never hurts to pass around your favorite sauce. Teriyaki, barbecue, sweet chili sauce, and peanut sauce all go well.
Or, you can make a simple vegan tartar sauce by combining 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise, 1 to 2 teaspoons yellow mustard, and 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish. Stir together in a small bowl and pass around to top the tofu.
If you like this simple tofu dish, you might also enjoy …
See lots more easy tofu and tempeh recipes.
Top three photos: Mizina / Bigstock