This hearty, spicy vegan chorizo tofu scramble delivers a double dose of protein from tofu and plant-based chorizo. Enjoy this for breakfast or brunch and it might keep you going until dinnertime!
If you’d like to use packaged plant-based chorizo for this dish, there are several great varieties to choose from, among them:
- Cacique Soy Chorizo
- Frieda’s Soyrizo
- Morningstar Farms Veggie Chorizo Crumbles
- No Evil El Capitan Chorizo
- No Evil El Zapatista Chorizo
- Tofurky Chorizo-Style Crumbles
- Upton’s Chorizo Seitan
Or, you could DIY and make this Easy Vegan Mushroom and Tempeh Chorizo.
Complete the meal: This hearty scramble is delicious served with warmed flour tortillas and fresh fruit. for a bigger meal, add Easy Hash Brown Potatoes or another simple potato dish.
Recipe adapted from Plant-Powered Protein: 125 Recipes for Using Today’s Amazing Meat Alternatives © 2020 by Nava Atlas. Reprinted by permission. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky, BittersweetBlog.com.
- 14- to 16-ounce tub extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 8 to 10 ounce package plant-based chorizo, or Tempeh and Mushroom Chorizo (see link in Notes)
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 6 to 8 leaves lacinato kale or collard greens, stemmed and cut into ribbons
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Sriracha or other hot sauce, to taste
- Flour or corn tortillas for serving, optional
- Cut the tofu into 6 slabs crosswise and blot well between layers of paper towel or clean tea towel (or press ahead of time in a tofu press). Cut the slabs into dice.
- Heat half of the oil in a large skillet or stir-fry pan. Add the tofu and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes before sprinkling in the curry powder (which is mainly for color)
- Add the chorizo and continue to cook, stirring often, until both it and the tofu start turning golden and crisp here and there, about 8 minutes longer. Remove to a plate or bowl.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until golden. Add the bell pepper and greens and continue to sauté until all are tender-crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Return the tofu-chorizo mixture to the pan and stir together with the vegetables.
- Stir in the cilantro and season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook just until everything is well heated through. Add sriracha to taste, or pass around so everyone can spice things up to their own taste.
If you want to make your own chorizo, here's our Easy Vegan Mushroom and Tempeh Chorizo.
Variation: If you serve this with tortillas, they can simply be used to scoop up some of the scramble, but they can also be used to make soft tacos. Larger tortillas can be wrapped around a mound of this scramble to make breakfast burritos.
If you like hearty scrambles, you might also enjoy …