These tempting tofu triangles go quickly, so for more servings, simply double the recipe for both the tofu and marinade, and cook in two batches. This recipe makes 3 modest servings.
Transforming tofu into crisp, teriyaki-flavored triangles is a simple thing to do, yet the fun shape gives it immediate appeal.
Making the teriyaki sauce in the recipe is quite easy. That said, feel free to use a good brand of bottled teriyaki sauce or marinade to go from easy to super-easy.
What to serve with Teriyaki Tofu Triangles
This is a perfect companion dish when you need a little extra protein on the plate. Teriyaki tofu triangles are good with Asian-style rice, noodle, or vegetable dishes. Here are a few to choose from:
- Stir-Fried Bok Choy and Shiitake Mushrooms with Snow Peas
- Gingery Bok Choy Fried Rice
- Stir-Fried Chard with Napa Cabbage
- Asian Noodles with Green Beans and Walnuts
Explore more …
- 50+ Easy Vegan Tofu Recipes
- Peanut Satay Golden Tofu Triangles
- An Easy Teriyaki Sauce Recipe
- Easy Teriyaki Noodles with Tofu & Broccoli
Teriyaki sauce (or see shortcut in Notes)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon neutral vegetable oil or dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh or bottled ginger
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce, optional
- 14-ounce tub extra-firm tofu
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Sesame seeds
- Combine all the ingredients for the teriyaki marinade in a small bowl and stir together.
- Cut the tofu into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Blot well between clean tea-towels or several layers of paper towel (or, if you have a tofu press, press the tofu ahead of time).
- Cut each slice through the thickness again to make 1/4-inch thick slices. Blot briefly again.
- Cut each slice into 2 squares, then each square on the diagonal into triangles. Place in a shallow pan and drizzle with the marinade. Gently turn the tofu pieces over so that both sides are coated with marinade. Let stand for 10 minutes or so.
- Heat a wide nonstick skillet. Transfer the tofu and marinade into the skillet. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring gently and frequently, until the tofu is nicely browned on most sides.
- Scatter the scallions over the tofu and serve straight from the pan; or transfer to a serving platter. Either way, serve at once.
Enjoy more easy tofu and tempeh recipes.