Easy teriyaki-flavored vegan fried rice and tofu is a sturdy weekday dinner main dish, embellished with bell pepper and peanuts. This tofu fried rice recipe just might become a mainstay in your repertoire. Having the rice cooked ahead of time makes it a breeze to prepare and is good with white or brown rice.
The flavor shortcut I’ve incorporated into this dish is teriyaki marinade or Korean BBQ marinade, which add more flavor than merely dousing the dish in soy sauce.
These kinds of bottled marinades have more complex flavor, so they add more than just saltiness to the dish. You’ll find them in the Asian foods section of supermarkets and natural foods stores.
Complete the meal: All you need is a colorful salad or slaw, though serving vegetable spring rolls from your grocery’s frozen foods section adds a fun touch.
Find more tasty vegan rice recipes from around the world.
- 14-ounce tub extra-firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon neutral vegetable oil (like safflower)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced or cut into strips
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 to 5 cups cooked long-grain brown rice (from about 1 1/2 cups raw)
- 1/2 cup teriyaki or Korean BBQ marinade, or more, to taste
- 4 scallions (white and green parts), thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger, or from a squeeze bottle
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup peanut halves, or as needed
- Cut the tofu into 6 slabs crosswise and blot very well between layers of paper towel or clean tea towel. (if you have a tofu press, press the tofu ahead of time). Cut the slabs into dice.
- Heat the oil and soy sauce in a large skillet or steep-sided stir-fry pan. Add the tofu and stir quickly to coat. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until golden brown and on most sides. This takes up to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the bell pepper and garlic and cook over medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the rice, marinade, scallions, and ginger. Stir everything together. Continue to cook until the rice is piping hot (how long depends on if you add hot or cold rice).
- Season with pepper and taste to see if you’d like to add more marinade.
- Serve at once, straight from the pan. Pass around peanuts for topping individual servings.
If you like this stir-fried rice recipe, you might also enjoy …
See more tasty, colorful stir-fries.