Bottled teriyaki sauce is easy to come by and usually good. But if you have these kinds of ingredients on hand and are a DIY kind of person, this teriyaki sauce recipe is super easy to make in minutes. It’s also a great marinade for tofu and tempeh.
Briny, with hints of tang and sweetness, this versatile sauce deserves to be a kitchen staple.
Ways to use teriyaki sauce or marinade
- It’s a perfect condiment for tofu and tempeh before cooking on the stovetop or grill. Marinate diced or sliced tempeh or pressed tofu for a half hour or so for extra depth of flavor.
- Teriyaki sauce adds a little more depth to stir-fries than soy sauce or tamari alone,
- It’s a good sauce for Asian noodles as a simple side dish.
- This sauce is a wonderful way to embellish mushrooms and green vegetables, including broccoli and bok choy.
Yield and storage: This recipe makes about 1 cup. It will keep in the refrigerator for at least a month.
Recipes that call for teriyaki sauce
These recipes give you the option of using bottled sauce or linking to this recipe. The choice is yours!
- Easy Teriyaki Noodles with Tofu & Broccoli
- Vegan “Chicken” Teriyaki Salad
- Teriyaki Fried Rice and Tofu
Explore more …
- Shiitake miso gravy
- Sesame-Ginger Miso Salad Dressing
- Homemade Sesame-Ginger Salad Dressing
- Teriyaki Tofu Triangles
- 1/2 cup good-quality soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white wine or cooking sherry, optional
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh or bottled ginger, or more, to taste
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, optional
- Combine the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together. Alternatively measure the ingredients straight in a small bottle (a cleaned bottle that was used for a purchased sauce or salad dressing is perfect). Put the lid on snugly and shake until the ingredients look well blended.
- Use as directed in recipes; Store any not used right away in a small bottle or tightly lidded storage container.
- Shake up or whisk before each use. Store in the refrigerator, where this sauce will keep for at least a month.
See more delicious sauces and dressings.