It’s easy to transform a contemporary classic composed cold platter into a vegan “chicken” teriyaki salad with chick’n-style plant protein or baked tofu. This beautiful rainbow or a salad proves how easy it is to make compassionate versions of old favorites.
It’s easy to transform a contemporary classic composed cold platter into a vegan teriyaki “chicken” salad with chick’n-style plant protein. This platter offers an array of color, flavor, and texture.
Vegan chick’n-style strips or baked tofu are sautéed in teriyaki sauce, then composed in a platter featuring vegetables, fruits, and nuts. It may look fancy, but it’s so easy to accomplish!
I find that that nugget, scallopini, or cutlet style plant-based chick’n all work in this recipe, if you’re going in that direction. There are lot of other products to choose from — see 12 Plant-Based Chicken Alternatives to Look for on Your Next Shopping Trip.
But baked tofu works great, too. It will all taste (and look) fantastic.
Recipe adapted from Plant-Powered Protein by Nava Atlas. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky, BittersweetBlog.com.
See lots more hearty vegan main dish salads.
Vegan Teriyaki Chick’n Salad
It’s easy to transform a contemporary classic into a vegan teriyaki “chicken” salad with chick’n-style plant protein.
- 1/4 cup bottled or homemade teriyaki sauce
- 8 to 10 ounce plant-based chick’n (see options in Notes), cut into narrow strips
- Baby greens or shredded lettuce, as needed
- 2 large celery stalks, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 heaping cup fresh or canned pineapple chunks and/or small orange sections
- 1/2 medium bell pepper, any color, cut into strips
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds, whole or slivered, or 1/2 cup toasted cashews, whole or halves
- Bottled or homemade sesame-ginger dressing (see link in Notes), as needed
- Heat the teriyaki sauce in a medium skillet. Add the plant-based chick’n and cook over medium-high heat until nicely glazed with the marinade, stirring often, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Line a large serving platter with salad greens. Arrange the chick’n in two or three spots atop the greens.
- Arrange the celery, pineapple and/or orange, bell pepper, tomatoes, and nuts in aesthetically pleasing groupings on the salad greens.
- Have everyone serve themselves about a quarter of the salad components into individual salad bowls or on plates, and pass around the dressing.
- Alternatively, compose each of the four salads separately before serving, and pass around the dressing.
Options for plant-based chick'n: Scallopini, nugget, or cutlet style, or baked tofu.
Here's our Sesame-Ginger Salad Dressing.
If you like this veganized chick’n salad, you might also enjoy …
Vegan Curried Chick’n Salad with Grapes and Almonds
21+ Vegan Chicken-Style Recipes
Here are more ways to veganize classic recipes.
Leave a Reply