Easy tofu teriyaki is all about the sauce, which absorbs into the tofu to make it remarkably flavorful. This recipe makes 2 to 3 servings, so if you need more, you may want to double this recipe. This teriyaki tofu recipe is super easy to make and disappears quickly!
Though making teriyaki marinade is easy, if you don’t think you’ll be using the ingredients for it too often, you may want to think about using a bottled teriyaki marinade instead.
Why not? It has basically the same ingredients. And you wind up with an incredibly easy recipe that comes together quickly for a weeknight meal.
What to serve with tofu teriyaki
Add a simple salad of crisp greens to the meal. Japanese-Style Carrot-Ginger Dressing contributes an authentic touch. Store-bought vegetable sushi rolls add a “wow” factor to the meal. You didn’t think I was going to have you make them from scratch, did you?
Of course, you can skip the sushi and serve with Vegetable Sushi Salad Bowl or keep things really simple with hot cooked rice.
Recipe adapted from Plant Power by Nava Atlas. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky, BittersweetBlog.com.
Explore more …
- 50+ Easy Tofu Recipes for Every Meal
- Homemade Teriyaki Baked Tofu
- Orange Roasted Tofu
- Teriyaki Tofu Triangles
- 14- to 16-ounce tub extra-firm tofu
Teriyaki Marinade (or see super-lazy shortcut)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil, optional
- 2 tablespoons agave or other liquid sweetener
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh or bottled ginger
- 1 large or 2 medium broccoli crowns
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Drain the tofu and cut into 6 slabs crosswise. Blot well between pieces of paper towel or clean tea towel. If you have time and can press the tofu ahead of time in a tofu press, so much the better.
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a small bowl and stir together (or use the super-lazy shortcut — simply use bottled marinade). Heat 1/4 cup of the marinade in a wide skillet (make sure to stir or whisk well again before measuring). Arrange the tofu slices in a single layer. Cook over medium-high heat until the bottom is nicely browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Drizzle the remaining marinade over the tofu slices; flip them and brown the second side, which will likely take less time than the first, with the skillet now that much hotter.
- Meanwhile, cut the broccoli into bite-sized florets. Steam in a skillet with a little water until bright green and tender-crisp. Drain off any excess liquid.
- Transfer the broccoli to a serving platter and arrange the tofu slices over it. Garnish with optional sesame seeds and serve at once, allowing 2 to 3 pieces of tofu per serving.
Super-lazy shortcut: Skip making the teriyaki marinade and use about 1/2 cup bottled teriyaki marinade instead.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 243Total Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 89gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 616mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 217g
Based on a serving of 3 pieces tofu. Nutrition data is always an estimate depending on program used to calculate and exact products used. This is given for informational purposes only and accuracy cannot be guaranteed.
If you like this easy tofu dish, you might also enjoy …
See more tofu & tempeh recipes.