Sprightly citrusy flavors infuse orange roasted tofu, making it a fantastic special occasion or company dish.
Easy to make and lovely to serve, tofu fans will love this dish, and it just might be the ticket to winning over tofu skeptics. The double orange glaze —orange juice + orange marmalade (actually triple orange if you use the optional but highly recommended orange zest) — along with lemon juice add up to a flavor that really pops.
Baby carrots, parsley, and almonds add an extra flourish of fresh flavors. Though this dish is special enough for company, it’s easy enough to make for everyday meals.
Originally developed as a main dish option for Easter dinner, this can be served all through the fall, winter, and spring. Adapted from Vegan Holiday Kitchen by Nava Atlas. Photos by Susan Voisin, FatFreeVegan.com.
- Two 14-ounce tubs extra-firm tofu
- Juice of 1 orange (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons orange zest, optional (but highly recommended)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon or basil
- Several grindings of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 to 10 baby carrots, quartered lengthwise
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced, optional
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 425º F.
- Cut each block of tofu into 8 slices (about 1/2-inch thick) crosswise. Blot well between several layers of paper towel or clean tea towel. Or press ahead of time if you have a tofu press.
- Combine the ingredients for the marinade in a small mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Arrange the tofu in a single layer on a parchment-lined roasting pan. Spoon the marinade generously over the surface of the tofu. Roast for 15 minutes, or until the tofu begins to turn golden.
- Carefully flip the tofu with a spatula, and spoon more marinade over the surface (you will likely have a bit left over). Roast for 15 minutes longer, or until the tofu is firm and golden.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a small skillet. Add the carrots, garlic, almonds, and sauté over medium heat, stirring frequently, until both are golden. Remove from the heat.
- When the tofu is done, transfer to a rectangular or oval serving platter or two, depending on their size, with the slices slightly overlapping one another.
- Sprinkle the carrot-almond mixture evenly over their surface, followed by a sprinkling of parsley. Serve at once, passing around the additional marinade to those who’d like more of it.
If you like this citrus flavored tofu dish, you might also enjoy …
Here are more easy tofu and tempeh recipes.