Here’s a holiday-sized portion of maple roasted sweet potatoes in a preparation that enhances the natural sweetness of this well-loved vegetable.
Maple syrup, vegan butter, orange juice, and cinnamon team up with sweet potatoes to create a simple side dish that’s perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and other special occasion meals.
You need not wait for a holiday to enjoy it, thought. For an everyday kind of portion, simply cut the recipe in half and use a smaller casserole dish.
Lots to love about sweet potatoes: They’re one of the most ancient and valuable of food crops of the Americas. Not to diminish the value of white potatoes, but in comparison, sweet potatoes are substantially richer in nutrients.
They’re especially high in vitamin A and the major minerals. With their natural sweetness and glorious color, sweet potatoes lend themselves to simple preparations like this one.
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon or rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- If the skins of the sweet potatoes are smooth and not too gnarled, leave them on, and scrub well. Otherwise, peel them. Slice 1/4-inch thick lengthwise, then into narrower pieces, or slice crosswise into rounds.
- Arrange the sweet potato slices in overlapping rows in an oiled shallow 2-quart casserole.
- In a small bowl, combine the syrup, vegan butter, orange juice, cinnamon, and salt. Pour evenly over the sweet potatoes.
- Sprinkle the tarragon or Rosemary over the top. Cover with a lid or foil and bake, covered, for 15 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork but still firm.
- Uncover and bake for 20 minutes longer, or until glazed and golden around the edges. Serve at once or cover and keep warm until needed.
If you like this holiday sweet potato dish, you might also enjoy …
Here are more easy vegan salads & sides.
Photos (top and middle): Vaaseenaa/Bigstock