These might just be the best vegan thumbprint cookies I’ve ever had! The slightly tart lime-flavored cookie dough contrasts deliciously with sweet jam.
Use strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, apricot, peach, or whatever jam is your favorite. There’s a variation for using chocolate chips, too. I like to use a variety in each batch. Get ready for these to go quickly!
Hot tip! I recommend baking the cookies about halfway through before pressing a well into them with the back of a half teaspoon measure. It’s a lot neater and more consistent than literally doing it with your thumb. Plus, when the jam is added just at the halfway point rather than from the get-go, it doesn’t end up running all over the cookie.
Using a good amount of wheat germ gives these a kind of graham-ish effect — nice and wholesome. Don’t be tempted to skip the lime zest, as that’s what gives these such nice flavor. Get ready for these cookies to disappear quickly!
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry or spelt flour, plus more as needed
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 3/4 cup natural granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 1 lime (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- All-fruit preserves, approximately (see options in notes)
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Combine the flour with the sugar, baking power, and salt in a mixing bowl and stir to combine completely.
- Add the vegan butter, divided into bits, along with the applesauce and vanilla. Work together with a pastry blender or large fork or with clean hands until it’s a smooth, somewhat soft dough.
- Drop the dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet in rounded tablespoonfuls. Flatten lightly with your palm.
- Bake for 7 minutes, then remove from the oven. Use the back of a 1/2-teaspoon measure to press down into the center of each cookie to make a neat indentation (see photo above the recipe box). Carefully insert 1/2 teaspoon of jam into the dent of each cookie.
- Return to the oven for 5 to 8 minutes, or until the bottom of the cookies are golden. This will depend on where your oven rack is situated, and the true temperature of your oven.
- Allow the cookies to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet, then remove to plates or a rack or plates to cool completely.
Use whatever kind of natural all-fruit preserve you like —strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, or other berry; peach or apricot — whatever's your jam! Fill some of the cookies with a few vegan chocolate chips as well.
If you like these jam-filled vegan thumbprint cookies, you might also enjoy …
Here are more vegan desserts & sweets.