For this easy version of orange tofu, fruit preserves, orange juice, and soy sauce create a luscious glaze with no added fat.
Consider doubling this recipe if you’re feeding tofu fans — it’s addictive!
Complete the meal: For a tasty light dinner, serve this easy orange tofu with Braised Bok Choy with Shiitake Mushrooms and cooked rice. Or, another fantastic companion, as you’ll see in the photo just below, is Stir-Fried Soba Noodles with Corn and Cabbage.
Use a good nonstick pan: One caveat — you’ll need a good nonstick pan to cook this this in. Not the unhealthy kind, but something like Circulon® or Calphalon®. The preserves make the glaze pretty sticky, and you want it to stick to the tofu, not the pan.
Recipe adapted from 5-Ingredient Vegan by Nava Atlas.
More Orange Tofu recipe from around the web:
- Vegan Richa — Vegan Orange Tofu Recipe
- Yup, It’s Vegan! — Orange Tofu
- Namely Marly — Crispy Orange Tofu
- 14- to 16-ounce tub extra-firm tofu
- 1/4 cup apricot or peach preserves, or orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup orange juice (fresh-squeezed or bottled)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh or jarred ginger
- Thinly sliced scallion for garnish Black or white sesame seeds for garnish
- Cut the tofu into 1/2-inch-thick slices crosswise to get 6 slabs. Blot well between clean tea-towels or several layers of paper towel (or use a tofu press ahead of time). Cut each slab of tofu in half to get 12 little squares.
- Combine the preserves, juice, soy sauce, and ginger in a small bowl and whisk together.
- Heat a medium skillet and pour in the preserves mixture. When it starts bubbling, arrange the tofu in a single layer. Turn the heat up to medium-high and cook each side for 5 minutes, or until the tofu is nicely glazed and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Serve at once, scooping up any remaining glaze to top the tofu pieces. Arrange on a small platter to serve, or serve straight from the pan. Garnish with scallion and/or sesame seeds if you’d like.
If you like this simple tofu recipe, you might also enjoy …