Here’s an easy recipe for carrot-ginger dressing — the kind you enjoy on salads in Japanese restaurants.
Whenever I go out for veggie sushi or tofu teriyaki at Japanese eateries, I love the carrot-ginger dressing that’s used to dress the simple salad of tender greens.
Salad with carrot-ginger dressing is a nice appetizer to count on when eating out, because the customary miso soup that comes with meals isn’t always vegan (it often contains bonito, aka fish flakes).
It turns out that this delicious Japanese-style carrot-ginger dressing is easy to duplicate at home.
A simple leafy salad is a good accompaniment to Asian-style meals. If you like to pick up vegetable sushi at the supermarket on occasion, as I do, a salad topped with this dressing is a perfect pairing.
Recipe adapted from Plant Power by Nava Atlas.
If you love easy dressings to embellish your salads, you may also be interested in:
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks, or 1 cup baby carrots
- 1- to 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled if desired, or 2 to 3 teaspoons squeeze-bottle ginger
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar, white wine vinegar, or apple cider vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of natural granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil, optional
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor. Pulse on and off until the carrots and ginger (if using fresh) are finely chopped.
- Add 2 tablespoons water and let the machine run until the mixture is a coarse puree. Scrape down the sides of the work bowl from time to time. If you’d like a little thinner consistency, add just a little more water at a time and let the machine run again. This is meant to be fairly thick, so don’t overdo it with water.
- Transfer to a small bowl and taste. See if you'd like to add any more vinegar, salt, sugar, and/or sesame oil to create a flavor balance that pleases your palate.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup of the dressing over the top of whatever kind of salad you're serving.
- Store any leftover dressing in an airtight container, where it will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 9Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 42mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 0g
If you like this Asian-flavored dressing, you might also enjoy …
Top of carrot-ginger dressing by EzumeImages / Bigstock