A simple vegan apple or pear crumble is a wonderful way to highlight fresh fruit in the cooler months. With an easy-to-prepare oat crumble topping, it’s as wholesome as it is delicious.
This dessert is so easy to make. All you need to do is combine thinly sliced apples or pears (or use both fruits — they go so well together) with maple syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour into a baking pan, top with a simple crumble topping, and bake.
Tart or sweet apples: I like making this with a more tart apple like Granny Smith, but use tart or sweet apples, as you prefer.
It’s good warm or at room temperature on its own, and even better with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream or coconut whip. Adapted from The Vegetarian Family Cookbook by Nava Atlas.
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats (oatmeal)
- 1/3 cup very finely chopped or ground walnuts
- 1/3 cup wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons natural granulated sugar
- Generous pinch of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons melted vegan butter or neutral vegetable oil (like safflower)
- 5 or so cups peeled, thinly sliced apple or pear, or a combination
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Combine the first 5 dry topping ingredients in a small bowl. Drizzle in the vegan butter or oil and stir until the dry ingredients are evenly moistened.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the fruit with the syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg and stir together until evenly coated.
- Pour the fruit mixture into a lightly oiled 9-inch baking pan or round pie plate and pat in evenly. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the fruit.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the topping is golden and turning crisp and the fruit is soft when poked with a fork or knife.
- Allow to cool until just warm, then serve on its own or topped with a scoop of vegan ice cream or coconut whip.
If you like this simple fruit crumble, you might also enjoy …
See lots more easy vegan desserts & sweets.