A simple vegan apple or pear crumble is a wonderful way to highlight fresh fruit in the cooler months. With an easy-to-prepare crumble topping, it’s as wholesome as it is delicious.
This fruit crumble is so easy to make. All you need to do is combine thinly sliced apples or pears (or use both fruits — they go so well together) with maple syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour into a baking pan, top with a simple crumble topping, and bake.
Tart or sweet apples: I like making this with a more tart apple like Granny Smith, but use tart or sweet apples, as you prefer.
This dessert is good served warm or at room temperature on its own, and even better with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream or coconut whip.
What’s the difference between a crisp and a crumble? According to All Recipes, “A crumble is just a crisp without oats in the streusel. It may feature nuts, but the streusel topping is usually a simple combination of butter, flour, and sugar that is more clumpy than that of a crisp.”
Ingredients for Vegan Apple or Pear Crumble
- Flour (light spelt, einkorn, or whole wheat pastry; small amount)
- Walnuts (small amount)
- Wheat germ
- Natural granulated sugar
- Vegan butter or neutral vegetable oil (like safflower)
- Apples (crisp; sweet or tart, like Granny Smith, as you prefer) and/or pears (about 4 medium, firm and ripe) — 5 or 6
- Maple syrup
Adapted from The Vegetarian Family Cookbook by Nava Atlas.
Explore more …
- Pear and Apple Crisp with Fresh Cranberries
- Stovetop Apple and Blueberry Crisp
- Vegan Unbaked Peach Crumble
- 1/3 cup light spelt, einkorn, or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup very finely chopped or ground walnuts
- 1/3 cup wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons natural granulated sugar
- Generous pinch of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons melted vegan butter or neutral vegetable oil (like safflower)
- 5 or so cups peeled, thinly sliced apple or pear, or a combination
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Combine the first 5 dry topping ingredients in a small bowl. Drizzle in the vegan butter or oil and stir until the dry ingredients are evenly moistened.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the fruit with the syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg and stir together until evenly coated.
- Pour the fruit mixture into a lightly oiled 9-inch baking pan or round pie plate and pat in evenly. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the fruit.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the topping is golden and turning crisp and the fruit is soft when poked with a fork or knife.
- Allow to cool until just warm, then serve on its own or topped with a scoop of vegan ice cream or coconut whip.
See lots more easy vegan desserts & sweets.