If you like pears, you’ll love this kale and pear smoothie. It features a double dose of the mellow fruit, both in fresh and juice form. Fresh mint adds a nice touch if you like minty flavors. Like all green smoothies, this one is best consumed right away after it’s blended up.
Spinach, kale, and collards have the best flavors for blending into greens—spinach is so mild, in fact, that if you close your eyes and taste, you hardly know it’s there.
It’s a good idea to vary the kind of greens you use in your smoothies, especially if you get into the habit of making them daily.
Hemp seeds are an optional ingredient, though I highly recommend using them for the extra protein (and other nutrients) they add to this tasty smoothie.
A common ratio for green smoothies is about 60% fruit and 40% greens. It isn’t always possible to measure precisely, though a somewhat larger ratio of fruit makes the smoothie more palatable. Once your palate adjusts, though, there’s nothing to keep you from using more leafy greens than fruit!
Recipe adapted from Wild About Greens by Nava Atlas.
- 2 medium ripe pears, cored and cut into chunks
- 3 to 4 curly kale leaves, stems and all
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds, optional (but highly recommended)
- 1 cup pear nectar, or as needed
- 1/2 cup vanilla nondairy milk
- A few ice cubes
- Several mint leaves, optional
- Combine all the ingredients in a high-speed blender and process until completely smooth.
- Divide between two tumblers. If the smoothies are too thick, stir in a bit more juice, or nondairy milk, then serve at once.
If you like green smoothies, you might also be interested in …
- See more easy and refreshing beverages.