Pear and apple crisp with fresh cranberries is a fantastic fall and winter holiday dessert, but you don’t have to wait for a special occasion to serve it. It’s a wholesome dessert that’s easy to make vegan.
This fruity dessert makes about eight servings and is delicious served warm by itself or topped with vegan vanilla ice cream or coconut yogurt.
What’s the difference between a crisp and a crumble? According to All Recipes, “A crumble is just a crisp without oats in the streusel. It may feature nuts, but the streusel topping is usually a simple combination of butter, flour, and sugar that is more clumpy than that of a crisp.”
In this recipe, dairy butter is easily replaced with vegan butter or a neutral oil like safflower.
If you’d like an example of a fruit crumble, see our Vegan Apple or Pear Crumble. And here are fruit crisps you can enjoy in the summer:
Recipe is adapted from Vegan Holiday Kitchen by Nava Atlas. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky, BittersweetBlog.com.
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 3 medium firm ripe bosc pears, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 large or 3 medium crisp apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg or allspice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup light spelt, einkorn, or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1/4 cup natural granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons melted vegan butter, or neutral oil like safflower
- Vegan vanilla ice cream or coconut yogurt, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Place the cranberries in a food processor. Pulse on and off until coarsely chopped.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cranberries, pears, and apples with the syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Stir together until evenly coated. Pour into a lightly oiled 9- by 13-inch baking pan.
- Combine the first 5 topping ingredients in a small bowl and stir together. Drizzle in the oil and stir until the dry ingredients are evenly moistened. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the fruit mixture.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the fruits are soft and the topping is golden. Serve warm, topping each serving with a dollop of coconut yogurt if desired.
If you like fresh cranberry desserts, you may also enjoy …