Two favorite spring-to-summer fruits come together in this dessert that’s as pretty as it is easy to make. For this unbaked strawberry and blueberry crisp, make sure to use the best possible strawberries.
This dessert is perfect for those times when company is coming and you don’t have time to make a more time-consuming dessert.
Topped with nondairy ice cream or frozen banana ice cream, it’s a treat you’ll want to make often. The secret to its yum factor is using strawberry jam to heighten the fresh fruity flavors.
Use the best strawberries you can find: It’s not going to cut it to use flavorless strawberries, so making this in season is an especially good idea.
If you’re lucky enough to find local, unsprayed strawberries at a farm market or farm stand, that would be ideal. But if that’s not possible, at least use organic strawberries you find in your grocery store.
The Environmental Working Group’s annual list of Dirty Dozen™ produce (the fruits and veggies that have the most pesticide residue) changes from one year to the next, but strawberries almost always sit at the top of the list. See more information about the Dirty Dozen and Clean Fifteen™ following the recipe box.
- 1/3 cup oatmeal
- 1/3 cup ground or finely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons natural granulated sugar
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 quart strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/2 cup strawberry preserves, preferably all-fruit
- 1 cup blueberries
- Nondairy ice cream for serving. optional
- Combine the oatmeal. walnuts, sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl and stir together.
- Melt the vegan butter in a small skillet. Add the oatmeal mixture and stir together quickly to coat with the vegan butter. Toast over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then remove from the heat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the strawberries with the preserves. Stir together gently until the preserves evenly coat the strawberries.
- In a 9-inch pie pan, layer as follows: A bit less than half of the oatmeal mixture, the strawberries, the blueberries, and the remaining oatmeal mixture. Don't worry if you don't have a round pie pan; you can layer this in any 9-inch pan (even a square one); it will look the same once you dish it out!
- Serve at once on its own or topped with nondairy ice cream.
If you like this unbaked fruit dessert, you might also enjoy …
LEARN MORE ABOUT EWG’S DIRTY DOZEN™
To learn more about what produce is on each year’s lists of Dirty Dozen™ and Clean Fifteen™, go to EWG’s Shopper’s Guide to Pesticides in Produce and read the full report and get the full list to see what produce follows closely after #12. Please note that both lists change each year.
2019’s Dirty Dozen™
2018’s Clean Fifteen™
Following this top 12 dishonorable list are other types of produce, in the following order. Use caution when buying these in non-organic form; wash well, and still, buy organic when you can.
- Sweet peas (frozen)
- Honeydew Melon