Have you discovered vegan banana ice cream? It’s hard to believe that the base of this creamy, dairy-free treat is simply ripe frozen banana. Peanut butter banana ice cream with just a hint of chocolate can be enjoyed in a bowl or cone. It’s a dessert you won’t mind serving your kids. Or someone else’s kids. Just make sure they leave some for you!
Banana, peanut butter, and a touch of chocolate are classic trio in desserts and don’t disappoint in this dairy-free dessert. Frozen banana ice cream is best made with very ripe bananas.
Slicing the bananas thinly (peeled, of course) before freezing them ensures that it won’t be hard going for your food processor to break them down.
No ice cream machine needed!
This is best made in a food processor rather than a blender. While it can be done in a regular blender, a high-speed blended will liquify the mixture too much.
Even with a regular blender, though, it’s challenging to get the mixture to blend evenly, or to get it out from the bottom of the container. So the first line choice is the food processor or even a mini-prep.
Make this fancier by topping with Fran Costigan’s Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream Shell.
Here are more sweet and savory peanut butter recipes.
Recipe is from 5-Ingredient Vegan by Nava Atlas. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
- 4 medium ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup smooth natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons vanilla nondairy milk, or as needed
- Roasted peanut halves for topping, optional
- Peel the bananas and cut into approximately 1/4-inch slices. Place in an airtight container and freeze for several hours or overnight until frozen solid.
- In a food processor, combine the frozen bananas, peanut butter, and nondairy milk. Process until the bananas are broken down to bits, then stop the machine to scrape down the side of the container.
- Add the chocolate chips and process again until the mixture is completely smooth and creamy, adding a bit more nondairy milk if need be.
- Scrape the banana mixture into a container and refreeze for an hour or two, or until firm to the touch.
- Scoop into individual bowls or cones to serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 227Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 76mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 4gSugar: 15gProtein: 6g
Nutrition data is always an estimate depending on program used to calculate and exact products used. This is given for informational purposes only and accuracy cannot be guaranteed.
If you like this vegan ice cream, you might also enjoy …
See lots more easy vegan desserts & sweets.