Banana, peanut butter, and a touch of chocolate are classic trio in desserts and don’t disappoint in this frozen dessert. Vegan peanut butter banana ice cream enjoyed in a bowl or cone is a treat you won’t mind serving your kids. Or someone else’s kids. Just make sure they leave some for you!
So, have you discovered frozen banana ice cream yet? If not, it’s high time you did! It’s hard to believe that the base of this creamy, dairy-free treat is simply ripe frozen banana.
Frozen banana ice cream is best made with very ripe bananas. Slicing the bananas thinly (peeled, of course) before freezing them ensures that it won’t be hard going for your food processor to break them down.
No ice cream machine is needed. This is best made in a food processor rather than a blender. While it can be done in a regular blender, a high-speed blended will liquify the mixture too much. Even with a regular blender, though, it’s challenging to get the mixture to blend evenly, or to get it out from the bottom of the container. So the first line choice is the food processor or even a mini-prep.
Originally published on VegKitchen.com, this recipe is featured in 5-Ingredient Vegan by Nava Atlas (Sterling Epicure, October 2019). Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
- 4 medium ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup smooth natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons vanilla nondairy milk, or as needed
- Roasted peanut halves for topping, optional
- Peel the bananas and cut into approximately 1/4-inch slices. Place in an airtight container and freeze for several hours or overnight until frozen solid.
- In a food processor, combine the frozen bananas, peanut butter, and nondairy milk. Process until the bananas are broken down to bits, then stop the machine to scrape down.
- Process again until the mixture is completely smooth and creamy, adding a bit more nondairy milk if need be.
- Scrape the banana mixture into a container and refreeze for an hour or two, or until firm to the touch.
- Scoop into individual bowls or cones to serve.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 227 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 76mg Carbohydrates: 28g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 15g Protein: 6g