Laura Theodore presents a moist and delicious vegan apple coffee cake to serve for a mid-morning coffee or tea break, breakfast treat, snazzy snack, or quick dessert!
To make the cake gluten free, use certified gluten-free oat flour. You can make homemade oat flour for this recipe, if desired.
To do so, put about 2½ cups quick cooking or old-fashioned rolled oats into a blender and process into fine flour. To keep it gluten-free, make sure to use gluten-free oats, as not all are.
Laura Theodore is a recognized public television personality, 3-time TASTE award winning vegan chef, cookbook author, podcast radio host, and award-winning recording artist.
Recipe is from JAZZY VEGETARIAN: Lively Vegan Cuisine That’s Easy and Delicious, 10th Anniversary Edition by Laura Theodore, © 2011/2022. Distributed by Book Publishing Company (original title in book: Happy Apple Cake) Reprinted with permission. Photo credit: Laura Theodore. Available wherever books are sold or directly from Laura Theodore (signed copies!)
Tune in for the latest season of Laura’s vegan television show, Jazzy Vegetarian, airing nationally on the Create Network (check local listings) and listen to The Laura Theodore Podcast on Apple Podcasts. Visit Laura on the web at Jazzy Vegetarian. See more about this book following the recipe box.
More from Jazzy Vegetarian: Lively Vegan Cuisine That’s Easy and Delicious
- Extra-virgin olive oil to coat the pan
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups (lightly packed) oat flour (see Note)
- 1⁄3 cup vegan cane sugar
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ rounded teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more to top cake
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 1 medium ripe banana, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened, plain or vanilla-flavored plant-based milk
- 2 scant cups unpeeled, cored, and diced apples (any variety)
- Vegan powdered (confectioners’) sugar, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Liberally coat a 9-inch square, rimmed baking pan with the oil.
- Put the walnuts in a blender and process into coarse crumbs. Combine the walnut crumbs, flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl and stir with a whisk to combine.
- Put the olive oil, maple syrup, sliced banana, and vanilla in a blender and process until smooth.
- Add the banana mixture and plant-based milk to the flour mixture and stir to combine. Fold in the diced apples. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle extra cinnamon over the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Decrease the heat to 325º F and bake for an additional 35 to 40 minutes, or until the top of the cake is firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out almost clean.
- Put the pan on a wire rack. Gently run a table knife around the perimeter of the cake. Cool for 30 minutes.
- Slice into squares and serve warm, with powdered sugar sprinkled over the top, or refrigerate and serve cold.
- Covered tightly and stored in the refrigerator, leftover cake will keep for 3 days.
You can make homemade oat flour for this recipe, if desired. To do so, put about 2½ cups quick cooking or old-fashioned rolled oats into a blender and process into fine flour. To keep it gluten-free, make sure to use gluten-free oats, as not all are.
More about Jazzy Vegetarian, 10th Anniversary edition
Embrace healthful eating . . . one mouthwatering vegan recipe at a time! Viewers of the award-winning public television series, “Jazzy Vegetarian,” will now be able to cook their favorite plant-based dishes from the show with this exciting, new, revised and updated edition of Chef Laura Theodore’s most popular cookbook, “JAZZY VEGETARIAN: Lively Vegan Cuisine That’s Easy and Delicious!”
With over 120 dazzling vegan recipes, more full-color photos, and 25 new recipes from Season Ten of the highly successful PBS television series, this updated edition divulges Laura’s secrets for creating light, wholesome, and satisfying dishes that everyone can master.
From tips on how to be more efficient in the kitchen, to the best way to shop for organic produce, Laura’s passion for cooking is contagious and her dedication to a vegan lifestyle motivational.
See more delectable vegan desserts & sweets.