Here’s a super easy and tasty take on spicy peanut noodles. Use bottled peanut satay sauce or make your own. Though it’s a perfect summer dish, you can enjoy it year round.
The basic components of this dish — ordinary pasta combined with tomatoes and zucchini, get their yum factor (along with an Asian spin) from a luscious peanut sauce.
Truth be told, Thai peanut sauce (sometimes labeled peanut satay) can be more economical to buy (especially store brands) than to make from scratch. But I like to give options, so feel free to choose. Here’s the easy Coconut-Peanut Sauce or Dressing on this site.
Use your noodles: Though this calls for long noodles, feel free to substitute your favorite pasta shape or whatever you’ve got on hand.
What to serve with spicy peanut noodles
Or, you can go with a higher protein salad that includes tofu like Cool Cucumber & Kale Salad with Hot & Spicy Tofu.
Recipe adapted from Vegan on a Budget by Nava Atlas. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky, BittersweetBlog.com.
- 10 to 12 ounces linguine or spaghetti
- 1 medium or 2 small zucchini, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 to 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup bottled Thai peanut sauce or Coconut Peanut Sauce (see link in Notes), or more, to taste
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce such as Sriracha, more or less to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish, optional
- Peanut halves or chopped peanuts for garnish, optional
- Cook the pasta according to package directions until al dente, then drain.
- In the meantime, combine the zucchini, tomatoes, and scallions with a small amount of water in a medium skillet. Cover and steam until the zucchini is just tender-crisp and the tomato has softened, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Combine the cooked noodles with the peanut sauce in a large serving bowl and stir until evenly coated.
- Add enough hot sauce to please your palate, but don’t go overboard — you can always pass it around to let everyone to add more to their own taste. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top each serving with some of the zucchini-tomato mixture. Garnish each serving with cilantro and/or peanuts, if using; pass around any extra peanut sauce that remains, as well.
Here's our recipe for Coconut-Peanut Sauce.
If you like this easy noodle dish, you might also enjoy …