The fresh flavors of dill and parsley makes this simple, hearty vegan potato soup recipe a good choice for the transition from winter to spring. Embellished with red or pink beans and green beans, it’s perfect for those inevitable chilly, rainy spring evenings, though you can make it any time of year.
This is the kind of old-fashioned potato soup recipe you’ll want to keep in your repertoire for those times when you need an easy, comforting meal in a bowl! This soup is naturally vegan and gluten-free.
Choose from a variety of beans: This soup works well with any kind or red or reddish bean — small red beans, kidney beans, pink beans, or adzuki beans. These choices are more for how the soup looks, though, so if you have other beans in your pantry that you’d like to use, by all means, go ahead.
Common, economical ingredients you may already have on hand
Ingredient list for potato soup with red beans
- Onion (1 medium)
- Fresh garlic (2 to 3 cloves)
- Golden (Yukon Gold) potatoes (4 to 5 medium)
- Diced tomatoes (Italian or fire-roasted; 28-ounce can)
- Red or pink beans (15-ounce can)
- Frozen cut green beans
- Fresh dill
- Fresh parsley
- Dry white wine (optional)
Pantry and spice cabinet staples
- Olive oil
- Cumin (ground)
- Salt-free seasoning (like Mrs. Dash)
- Salt and fresh pepper
What to serve with this soup
- For a soup-and-salad meal: Many kinds of leafy salads or slaws go well with this soup. Mixed Greens and Pear Salad with Maple Glazed Pecans or Fruity Red Cabbage Slaw are two tasty choices.
- For a soup-and-sandwich meal: Delicious with Easy Creamy Portobello Wraps or Vegan Rarebit, served side by side with the soup.
Recipe is adapted from Vegan Soups and Stews for All Seasons by Nava Atlas. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky, BittersweetBlog.com.
Explore dozens more easy green bean recipes.
Potato Soup with Red Beans & Green Beans
The fresh flavor of dill makes this simple, chunky potato soup recipe a good choice for the transition from winter to spring.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 to 5 medium golden (Yukon Gold) potatoes, scrubbed and diced
- 28-ounce can diced tomatoes (Italian or fire-roasted)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine, optional
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt-free seasoning (like Mrs. Dash)
- 15-ounce can red or pink beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill, more or less to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onion and sauté over medium-low heat until translucent. Add the garlic and continue to sauté until both are golden.
- Add the potatoes with just enough water to cover, followed by the tomatoes, optional wine, and spices. Bring to a slow boil, then lower the heat and simmer gently with the cover ajar for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the beans, green beans, and enough additional water to give the soup a slightly dense consistency (about 2 cups). Continue to simmer for 15 minutes longer, or until the vegetables are tender but not overdone.
- Stir in the dill and parsley, then season with salt and pepper. Serve at once, or if time allows, let the soup stand off the heat for an hour or two, then heat through before serving.
If you like this hearty potato soup, you may also enjoy …
Chunky Potato Soup (with golden and sweet potatoes)
Vegan Leek and Potato Soup with Watercress
- Here are more delicious vegan soups & stews.
- See more bountiful plant-based spring soups.
Leave a Reply