When your dinner plate could use some color and crunch, this fruit-filled red cabbage and carrot slaw is a pleasing option. Granny Smith apples are fantastic in this recipe, but use any crisp apple you have on hand. Simple though it is, it’s one of my favorite red cabbage recipes!
Optional add-ins, which can be used in any combination, include grapes, pineapple, mango, raisins, and nuts. Or, keep it simple with the basic recipe.
Make this salad prior to moving on to the main dish of your meal; it benefits from having time to stand and let the flavors blend and for the cabbage to soften.
You’ll welcome this crunchy salad with a sweet touch to serve with hearty bean dishes, BBQ-flavored plant proteins, and Tex-Mex style specialties.
- 3 cups coarsely shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup coarsely grated carrot
- 1 medium crisp apple, quartered, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup parsley or cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice, or more, to taste
- 2 teaspoons agave or maple syrup
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Optional add-ins (use any or all)
- 1/2 cup finely diced mango or pineapple, or red or green seedless grapes, halved
- 1/4 cup dark or golden raisins
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts or pecans, halves or chopped
- Combine all of the ingredients in a serving container and stir together. Taste to see if you’d like to add more lemon or lime juice and/or agave.
- If time allows, let the salad stand for 15 minutes or so before serving, but if you need to serve it right away, that works, too.
If you like this red cabbage slaw, you might also enjoy …
Here are lots more easy salads and side dishes