Two-potato soup, combining sweet potatoes with golden potatoes in a soothing bowlful is pure comfort — and vegan bacon takes it up another notch.
Short-cutting the peeling and dicing: Peeling and dicing six to eight potatoes is enough to give me pause. So I’ve made the process easier by microwaving the potatoes first. That makes the peels easy to slip off and pretty much eliminates the need to chop.
Since this is a very vegetable-centric soup, the addition of plant-based bacon (make your own tempeh strips or use packaged vegan bacon) makes it a meal in itself.
Complete the meal: If you need something extra, a leafy wrap or a simple salad are good choices for accompaniments. A salad with a fruity element is a nice foil for the soup’s flavor; I’d suggest Spinach and Mango Salad with Cranberries and Cashews, or a mixed greens and beet salad with orange sections.
- 2 large or 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 6 medium or 4 large golden potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 2 to 3 cups plain unsweetened nondairy milk, or as needed
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons barbecue seasoning blend (see Note)
- 1 cup vegan cheddar shreds, plus more for topping
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 5- to 6-ounce package vegan bacon, or 1 recipe Sweet and Savory Tempeh Strips (see link to recipe in Notes)
- Microwave the sweet potatoes until easily pierced with a knife. Do the same with the golden potatoes. Set aside until cool enough to handle. Speed up the process by immersing the potatoes in a bowl of ice water.
- Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onion and sauté over medium-low heat until lightly browned.
- Add 2 cups of water plus the bouillon cubes and bring to a slow boil.
- Once the potatoes and sweet potatoes are cool enough to handle, slip the skins off. Break into large chunks and add to the soup pot. Reach in with a potato masher to mash the potatoes as much as you’d like, leaving some chunks for texture.
- Add enough nondairy milk for a fluid but fairly thick consistency. Stir in the mustard, barbecue seasoning and vegan cheese shreds and return to a simmer. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, prepare the homemade tempeh bacon or heat up the prepared tempeh bacon according to package directions. When done, cut into small bits.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve. Top each bowlful with tempeh bacon, fresh herb, and extra vegan cheese shreds.
See our recipe for Sweet and Savory Tempeh Strips.
If you like this potato-centric soup, you might also enjoy …
Here are more easy vegan soups and stews.